Won't restart when engine is warm

greekguy7

My 1988 Grand Prix 2.8 litre almost left me stranded twice in the past couple off days. I drove it around, went in to the store and then went to restart it and it cranked but wouldn't start. I waited several minutes and it finally started. Since I was by myself, I couldn't verify if it had spark or not. It started fine when the engine was cold all weekend.

I will try to duplicate the problem and then check for spark but if not, does this sound more like a ignition control module, crankshaft position sensor or perhaps fuel injectors that are out of spec.? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Could be the ICM or a coil going bad maybe... Sounds like what happened to me when my ICM took a dump on the Fiero.. Except mine wouldn't restart for a couple hours after it had been sitting (this was the middle of summer though)..

Does it start to run crappy when it gets warmed up too? Or is it just a starting problem?

I don't think it's injectors, I think you'd have a bigger problem on cold start if it was leaky injectors. If it's a heat soak issue I would say ICM, but it should probably run like crap too... (once warmed).

Just for the hell of it, next time it doesn't start, remove the cap from the schrader valve on the fuel rail and press the pin in.. if fuel is slowly dribbling out maybe your fuel pump is going out. Make sure you here it prime after you turn the key to on. I doubt it's that, but you never know.. my TGP had that problem but it was due to a wiring short at the fuel pump (safe! :rolleyes:) caused by one of the previous owners.

Thanks for the input! Once it restarts it runs fine. The fuel pump was replaced about 3 weeks ago. I do hear the fuel pump energizing when I try to start it.

it sometimes stalls while driving but restarts right up.

the past 2 times though, it wouldnt start when hot, but once you wait a few minutes, it started right up and ran ok.

You should check the injectors resistance. It could be an icm. Throw a timing light on each of your wires and see if any are acting up.

-Jarek

OK.. I drove it around the neighborhood, got it hot, shut it off and tried to restart it. I worked fine. Darn... I tried a few more times and finally git it where it would not restart no matter what! Great. It finally died for good. I checked for spark and got nothing. Fuel pressure was good. I pulled the ignition control module and had it replaced for free under warranty from Autozone. I replaced it last back in 2003.

so does that mean that it is running again? If that didn't solve it my vote is either ECM or crank sensor.

And BTW, if it were the coils as suggested, that would mean that you would have to have failure of all 3 coils at once. A VERY highly unlikely scenario.

I replaced the ignition control module and that fixed the problem

Mine was doing the same thing. I read your symptoms and was screaming ICM to myself.

It was during the fall, getting close to winter and it was cooler outside.... I would be fine to get to and from work, but that was about it. The damn thing would get hot and my car would act like it had a bit of a miss, then it would die and wouldn't start for a while.

I finally yanked the old one off the motor that WAS in my car and haven't had any problems since. >.>

Congrats to solving the problem man!