This winter is trying to kill my car...I think.

GPX

Okay, maybe just my doors, but man it's been rough. So far, my windows have been frozen about 90% of the winter. My driver's side door has frozen shut probably half a dozen times. My pasenger door froze open a few times, then the outside handle broke inside--at least it still opens from the inside. My remote mirrors no longer work. My check link was already bad on the driver's door--now the passenger side is going. I'm going to have to spend half of the summer getting my doors working right again.

Also, I had to put a new right front wheel bearing in in November, and last week the left one started humming. My front end was nice and tight last fall and now it rattles like hell as I drive on the washboard to work each day. Spring cannot come soon enough!

In addition to just getting back to where I was last fall, my tires are finally junk, so they need to be replaced before I can really appreciate my AWEB RSTB which also needs to be installed as soon as it gets warmer and less snowy. I still have over 4 feet of snow in the front yard!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

OK, here's a real question (and thanks for getting this far past all my whining): Does anyone have the GM part number for the courtesy/check-link for my '96 Cutlass? I'd like to order them from PartsDirect if possible. Also any tips for fixing my remote mirrors and exterior handle would be appreciated.

I gave a free Drivers side Cutty handle to Matt.. If i can find the other im sure you can have it to. As they do me no good. As for the power mirrors would be fuses. I think there is 3 or 4 fuses that are for accessories and stuff.

The winter can be very frustrating. Wait for the warm weather, and some things may actually start working again :lol:

Very true. During the winter I would scream at my power windows because they would growl and not really move (without manual assistance) whereas once it warmed up, they'd be a lot better.

The design of our cars makes them sitting ducks for getting the doors frozen shut. I keep de-icer liquid whereever I am, ask the people I work with. I SOAK the entire frame of the door before I even attempt to pull the handle, and to my suprise, I haven't broken a door handle this year. (Usually lose one every winter as a matter of poor design and cheap metal in them.) My remote start has probably helped with that more than I can realize, I know its made my life a bit easier fighting with this car.

But seriously, winter is the hardest time of year for those of us with these cars. They. just. SUCK in the winter. Great handling, traction, reliable as all hell but when it comes to accessibility... they suck.

As far as the mirrors go, I don't know what to tell you. I have power windows in my car, but neither of them work, as they have both been ripped off the car at one time or another by a previous driver. The driver's side is a power mirror (clicks when you you adjust it and vibrates excessively with the bass in the car) though the passenger side is not. I have a sneaking suspision that the driver's mirror was just never hooked up to the mirror controls... oh well. That's small fries.

Door handles and windows are much more important! Good luck, spring will surely solve some of your problems. I know it has for me all three times spring has hit when I owned my beastie.

The worst part about winter driving is the roads. I know my front wheel bearing is on its way out since its getting loose. No humming or anything, it just knocks over every bump. But winter sucks. plain and simple :lol:

The worst part about winter driving is the roads. I know my front wheel bearing is on its way out since its getting loose. No humming or anything, it just knocks over every bump. But winter sucks. plain and simple :lol:

QFT. I hate winter.

We got teased with spring. I got to wash/wax my car two days in a row... and now... its cold again, and i must work on my car!

Solution to door freezing: first thing before you even attempt opening it, I body slam the door right in the center. I try to aim to minimize possible metal flex as much as pissable, but this usually works, it breaks the ice and frost that's accumulated on the seals.

I don't work on cars in the winter, so I just got my left front wheel bearing fixed to the tune of $226. $122 for the bearing kit and 1.5 hours in the garage. I had the right side done in November. My mechanic told me that my ball joints and tie-rod ends were all tight :biggrin:. I'm guessing the rattle (it's better since bearing replacement) I still have is from calipers, but I haven't been under there to poke around and won't get there for some time.

Solution to door freezing: first thing before you even attempt opening it, I body slam the door right in the center. I try to aim to minimize possible metal flex as much as pissable, but this usually works, it breaks the ice and frost that's accumulated on the seals.

Man, I remember one night when I was pissed at the Beretta and it's door was frozen shut. I body slammed it at least five times. :lol: And I kicked the bottom part of the door a lot too. I knocked some ice loose, enough to get the door about 1/2 inch open. :rolleyes:

Surprisingly I didn't dent the car at all though.

I don't work on cars in the winter, so I just got my left front wheel bearing fixed to the tune of $226. $122 for the bearing kit and 1.5 hours in the garage. I had the right side done in November. My mechanic told me that my ball joints and tie-rod ends were all tight :biggrin:. I'm guessing the rattle (it's better since bearing replacement) I still have is from calipers, but I haven't been under there to poke around and won't get there for some time.

wow it was that much! I got my wheel bearing for $64. But yeah I also hate working on cars in the winter. I cant stand it. Only good thing about it is when a wrench slips or something you dont feel it cause I know my hands are always numb when working in the cold.

wow it was that much! I got my wheel bearing for $64.

As you probably know, the autoparts stores generally charge the general public a different price than to shops (less to shops). Then the shop marks it up a little more beyond that. I "take it" in the cold weather because I have no patience. When it's warm, I have lots of patience, but this project couldn't wait till then.

I would leave a HUGE ass dent if I tried something like that

You've seen my skinny ass though. :lol: You obviously adjust the force and you could even move towards the back or front.

You've seen my skinny ass though. :lol: You obviously adjust the force and you could even move towards the back or front.

lmao, i may have to give you a call next time mah doors are frozen. :lol: