My car is leaking Antifreeze

shadow

the leak is on the left front of the car. I am trying to see if it is coming from a hose but it is hard to tell. Is the water pump in that area? It seems to leak more when the car is warming up but once warmed up there is very little leaking. The car does not overheat at all and drives well. This is a 1990 Turbo Grand Prix. If it is the water pump is it a very expensive fix? I know little to nothing about cars so your help is appreciated.

Chris

I don't know about on the TGPs, but I was leaking coolant on that side and it ended up being a $100 heater hose or something like that.... I think it was so expensive because its not just a standard metal or rubber hose, I dunno, I do remember GM telling my mechanic they were discontinued and there were only 3 left in Canada...

Although when mine went I was losing enough coolant to overheat, so you might get lucky and have a broken seal or a cracked hose...

If you can, get under the car give it a good cleaning and see where the leak is coming from before you go buying random parts.

Jamie

Left side of the car.. that would be your heater hose that runs from the water pump, down by the passenger wheel well, up the firewall, and to your heater core. My TGP has never seen a winter and the pipe was weak from surface rust (coming from the passenger front tire) and it busted when I replaced my AC compressor last summer. Look at the bottom of that heater pipe by your passenger front wheel, I bet it is rusty and wet with coolant.

Left side is the drivers' side, guys. The thermostat housing is over there.

If it is the passenger side, that would be the right side. There's SO much over there, that it will take some time to find the leak.

Its in the right passenger side. Seems to stop leaking once the car is warmed up. Sprays alot while warming up than pretty much stops spraying once warmed up.

they key is its spraying -while cold- with no system pressure. either the wp gasket or bearing seal is done and expends when its hot and stops leaking

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the water pump. Does the pump go inside the housing thats attached to the engine? Will I need a special tool to put the belt back on the pulley? Where can I drain the coolant at and do I have to drain all the coolant?

Chris

I bought the water pump. Does the pump go inside the housing thats attached to the engine? Will I need a special tool to put the belt back on the pulley? Where can I drain the coolant at and do I have to drain all the coolant?

Chris

Here, take a look at this.. It's for the 3.4, but I used it when I did my wp on the 3100, and it's exactly the same. Just follow the steps and you'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

Chris

Here, take a look at this.. It's for the 3.4, but I used it when I did my wp on the 3100, and it's exactly the same. Just follow the steps and you'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

Thanks that is just what I needed. Changing it looks to be no big deal at all. :high5:

Chris

Thanks that is just what I needed. Changing it looks to be no big deal at all. :high5:

:high5: Changing it is super easy.. Only problem I had was getting the bolt on the pulley to come off. I had to get someone to hold the wrench across the pulley bolts while I loosened them, and it still took a while since it kept trying to spin on me..