Creaking from rear suspension

DEMonte1997

Anyone have issues with their rear swaybar bushings making a creaking sound? My 1992 is so bad that it will make the noise anytime I get in and out of the car. It creaks and pops almost all the time. I don't think it's the strut mounts because the sound seems to be coming from lower in the wheel well when I push down on the car. The sound also goes away on days when it rains out. I tried lubing the suspension components and that helped for a day and then the sound came back.

I'm thinking about taking the sway bar out altogether over the weekend and seeing if the sound goes away. :confused:

Anyone else have issues with massive creaking coming from their rear suspension setups? :neutral:

No, there's a big monoleaf with pads holding it up on the hub assemblies. Check those pads first, on mine the rubber pads were melted away from friction.

• 2 weeks later...

also chec your trailing arm bushings, mine use to be so loud that i had to drown it out with music. the rear end on these cars is so premative.

The rear end on these cars is so premative.

How so?

A fiberglass leaf spring, shitty ass rear brakes that shoulda been drums anyways, my rear end on my cutty makes so much noise... click click here and a creak creak there omg i hate it, why does GM use technology from the 20's on cars like this (and the corvette)?

Same thing started for me a little while ago... at first, if I was sitting at a light and accelerated when it turned green, I would hear a loud creak and now... a month or so later, I hear a series of loud creaks when accelerating from a stop. Music does help drowning it out, I find. I try to ignore the fact the suspension on my car is FUBAR and reparing it all would likely cost as much as the car is worth.

The rear end on these cars is so premative.

How so?

A fiberglass leaf spring, shitty ass rear brakes that shoulda been drums anyways, my rear end on my cutty makes so much noise... click click here and a creak creak there omg i hate it, why does GM use technology from the 20's on cars like this (and the corvette)?

There's nothing wrong with a transverse leaf spring. We've already had another thread talking about this.

Leaf spring = cheap, low unsprung weight, good side-to-side weight transfer

Our brakes do suck, what are you gonna do? That doesn't mean the entire rear suspension sucks.

And rear creaking can be dealt with. Replace the correct parts. Monoleaf "pucks", struts, worn-out rubber bushings, etc.

IMO our rear suspension is pretty advanced. These cars were the only GM product to have an independent rear suspension besides the Corvette when they were introduced in '88.

Maybe advanced to 1988 standards but nothing advanced to shit nowadays.

Really? Didn't A, L and N bodies have solid rear axles to '96, and J bodies till what, '05?

The coilover setup on the 1.5+ gen is so much better.

Here we go again. What is so damn better about coilovers? Our monoleaf is light, provides good lateral weight transfer, and first-gens aren't even designed for coilovers.

A bodies stopped being made in '96. L Bodies stopped in '97. N bodies started getting independent rear suspensions in '98?

J bodies just suck all around. I'm saying to stuff nowadays. Like 00+.

Coilovers are a true independent suspension. The 1.5 gen has completely different strut towers in the rear. It is more of your typical independent suspension.