Audio n00b, battery or fuse block?

nebojsa_o

Hi all! So I've heard/read it's better to go directly from the battery, not the fuseblock. Well I just setup my new amp and sub, and had to test it out. I wanted to put the 4ga. power wire straight to the battery, but because of my gay w-body battery location, and funky terminals, that's a no-go for now, I need a different way to connect it, so I'll have to go shopping again...

So I put it to the fuse block, and went for a quick drive, about an hour or a bit more :lol: and then I switched a CD, and noticed the HU was pretty warm, as in too warm to be normal. Then I realised what's going on, and started touching everything else, and the only other thing that was hot was the headlight switch.

Is that the only reason it's all warming up? Is it safe to assume once I put the 4ga. power wire directly on the battery, the headlight switch won't get that hot again?

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to mess around with the LPF and the Bass EQ (not sure what that is) on the amp yet, but I'm really happy with it already. :high5:

But yeah, I'd just like someone to confirm this heating up thing will go away after I go directly to the battery. Thanks

By fuseblock do you mean the one under the dash/in the interior?

Just run to the aux. terminal o nthe fender and you'll be fine IMO. As for the headlight switch being hot..not sure why it would be unless somehow you are running your amp through the switch or something.

The AUX thing right by the battery. I said fuse block because there are fuses right in there. And the reason I thought that and the headlight switch heat are related is because those fuses are for foglights, and headllights and hort and all that good stuff, most of which is controlled by the headlight switch... Now I'm really wondering WTF is going on! :willynilly:

You NEED to connect the power wire to the power source aka battery. The terminal you need is a $4.00 part to connect the wire to the battery terminal.

By putting the power wire on the fuseblock, your increasing the load on all those wires that were NOT meant to handle such current.

Excellent news! :high5: I figured that's what was happening, but wanted to make sure. The plan is to hook it up to the battery as soon as I can find that part... Do you have a picture of the part I'm looking for, or the name of it? My battery only has the terminals on the side, none on top, and I'm not sure what I'll need to properly connect this... :willynilly:

I went to the Aux post and have had no problems in the nearly 2 years that it has been there. I've been told that it should not be hooked up there, but it works for me.

Jamie

Excellent news! :high5: I figured that's what was happening, but wanted to make sure. The plan is to hook it up to the battery as soon as I can find that part... Do you have a picture of the part I'm looking for, or the name of it? My battery only has the terminals on the side, none on top, and I'm not sure what I'll need to properly connect this... :willynilly:

is your washer tank on top of the battery? Go to a car audio place, they have adaptors for side post batteries that you can use to make your install alot easier. Why wouldnt you use the aux post on your car, that is the little thing with the red cap, thats where you boost off of as well.

That's what I'm using. The AUX post, right by the battery, with the little plastic red cap over it... And that AUX post is attached/part of the under the hood fuse box on the drivers side, which is for Horn, headlights, foglights, and some other stuff. So when I hook up to that, the headlight switch starts to get warm (hot) after about an hour or so of music. I've heard before that AUX post shouldn't really be used, but now I'm wondering if that's the reason...

is your washer tank on top of the battery? Go to a car audio place, they have adaptors for side post batteries that you can use to make your install alot easier. Why wouldnt you use the aux post on your car, that is the little thing with the red cap, thats where you boost off of as well.

Or you could run a top post Battery and move your washer fluid bottle. I got one out of a 96 F-body and mounted it in front of the Rad. (sorry, no pics, but if its of interest to you I can get some) Its probably a more expensive idea than just getting the adapters, but I was sick of draining and pulling the bottle every time I wanted to get at the battery.

Jamie

You don't have to drain and pull the windshield fluid bottle. Just unbolt it and set it aside.

If I didn't drain it then when I pulled the hose it spewed washer fluid all over the place. But now I never have to worry about it.

Jamie

You don't have to drain and pull the windshield fluid bottle. Just unbolt it and set it aside.

If I didn't drain it then when I pulled the hose it spewed washer fluid all over the place. But now I never have to worry about it.

Jamie

There should have been enough slack in the hose to move the bottle out of the way of the battery.

Only go to the Battery. Any reputable car audio shop should have the correct GM side post terminal bolt.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Battery%20Terminals# Third one down, but just get the short bolt, not the long one, as pictured.

Yeah, I remembered to look at that site in the morning, and found out what it looks like. I'll just buy that part locally, there is a few good audio places around here. How do I install that though? Does the existing bolt come out of the red plastic that's at the battery? My old man said he doesn't think it comes out. Then again, he also broke my washer fluid bottle/pump when trying to remove it while I was putting the drivers seat back in the car. :rolleyes: Now I gotta get a new one of those too... How does the pump install/remove from the washer bottle, does it just pull out, or twist and turn or what?

That's what I'm using. The AUX post, right by the battery, with the little plastic red cap over it... And that AUX post is attached/part of the under the hood fuse box on the drivers side, which is for Horn, headlights, foglights, and some other stuff. So when I hook up to that, the headlight switch starts to get warm (hot) after about an hour or so of music. I've heard before that AUX post shouldn't really be used, but now I'm wondering if that's the reason...

there is absolutely no reason having the amp wire there would make your headlight wire hot unless you did not upgrade your charge wire at the same time.

you need to have 4 gauge all the way from the alt....to the amp.

your battery will also charge better as a result.

remember that the batt does not power the amp. the batt is reserve power that yes the amp uses when the alt is not running. but it is a complete myth that the amp should be ran to the battery. if anything that would make it harder on your electrical system on a W.

the battery is in no way involved in any of your problems in my educated guess.

if it aint dying then its charging. although it could charge better after you REPLACE the factory charge wire with a new one from the alt to the AUX post.

to me that still would not be upgrading the charge wire. If you just take off the factory one and heat shrink the ring and run a bad ass new one then your whole car can benefit not just the stereo.

The all of the vehicle's electronics run through the battery for a reason- it smooth's out any ripple's in the current.

Any professional will tell you, connecting to the battery is the correct way of doing it.

the important thing is the amp gets plenty of power straight from the alt. and that the battery has a good lead to pull enough voltage to charge from..... which its better now than it was.

alt is the primary source of power, battery is for reserve. just keep that in mind whatever any pro tells you.

The alternator does power everything, but the alternator is ran through the battery, and then everything is connected up after the battery.

There is a reason for this.