Additive to quieten down piston slap??

GOT2B GM

Just wondering what you 3100 / 3400 guys do to subdue the inevitable piston slap in your cars. Figured this could apply to w-bodies so thats why I posted in the General section.

My wifeys car is 2000 Alero GLS, that I do all the maintenence on. Its a great running car, only had to do the LIM and both front wheel bearings. ( both inherent 3400 / N-body issues)

BUT!

The piston slap drives me nuts, its non existant when warm but when its cold, its a bit obnoxious.

Any luck with any sort of additives?

I'm running 5W30 Castrol synthetic and ACD filters.

There is nothing you can do to quite piston slap short of redesigning the offset wrist pins, and changine piston to bore clearence...

Also, our engine have a natural resonance through the cam valley, that makes the noises a little more distinct. And those of us with engine with the hollow cams with pressed on lobes are much more succeptable to noise

Lucas might quiet it down. But I kinda doubt it. I wouldn't use Lucas unless needed.

Piston Slap is just a nuisance and it goes away in like 5 min.

BTW-I wouldn't use the ACD filters. They redesigned them a year or two ago and the E-Core filter in them suck. They sometimes fail.

My 3.1 sounds like she's gonna blow up in the morning ever since I got the damn car - still knocks away for 3 mins every morning...I guess sort of taking the motor apart you'll have to live with it.

My 3.1 sounds like she's gonna blow up in the morning ever since I got the damn car - still knocks away for 3 mins every morning...I guess sort of taking the motor apart you'll have to live with it.

FWIW: I've never heard a 2.8/3.1 as loud as yours.

Yeah it's pretty noticeable - even the neighbors have asked me if my motor is okay before lol..doesn't burn any oil at all, good compression, just a lil noisey on cold morning. This morning since it was above freezing it barely made any noise. I have a recall letter from 1993 in the Lumina for the piston slap issue, but my grandma never had the recall done lol.

Personally, I like NAPA Gold (don't have those in Canada right?) which is identical to WIX. WIX, Purolator are great filters.

Don't go spending the shit tons of cash on Mobil 1, K/N. They are good also but not worth the cash.

i tried everything on mine and after 4 years i gave up. i still run a full synthetic and fram high mileage and although a little obnoxious i have never had a problem

i tried everything on mine and after 4 years i gave up. i still run a full synthetic and fram high mileage and although a little obnoxious i have never had a problem

You use a Fram? :willynilly: They're gonna eat you alive... I'll back you up though, I use only Fram. (the silver one made for synthetic oils)

Matt, Have you tried that stuff you use on the LQ1 to QUIETEN it down? Its 4:30am and I just got home from work, the name is escaping me....

Jamie

Restore, and no I haven't tried it yet. I dont wanna throw money at additives that might not work, but I may have to try Restore in it.

Yeah it's pretty noticeable - even the neighbors have asked me if my motor is okay before lol..doesn't burn any oil at all, good compression, just a lil noisey on cold morning. This morning since it was above freezing it barely made any noise. I have a recall letter from 1993 in the Lumina for the piston slap issue, but my grandma never had the recall done lol.

What does the recall say/do for that issue.

There is a recall for piston slap on the 3.1's? I've never heard of this?

Fram sucks. And I couldn't remember if the NAPA Silver filters are WIX too, I would still get the gold though, they are better.

*sigh, you're not going to die simply because you use a fram filter. They aren't nearly as good as some others, but they don't have a 75% failure rate or anything. :rolleyes:

*sigh, you're not going to die simply because you use a fram filter. They aren't nearly as good as some others, but they don't have a 75% failure rate or anything. :rolleyes:

X2

I guess it was time for w-body.com's monthly oil filter thread.

I use Restore in my Volvo. I have averaged about 26.5mpg on the highway at 70mph with it. After using Restore, at the same speed, and with an engine in the back, I got 28mpg. Probably actually ran about 72mph, but still. I do use it in that car...it ha 235,000 miles on it. I'm not much of a fan of snake oils, but so far, so good.

restore, I like it, but I wont tell everyone to use it. Just a personal preference i guess. I've noticed more on older more beat engines than on better taken care of engines

Fram is total garbage, bar none, live in denial if you want.

I'm just a realist. I'm not going to drive all over fucking town looking for a certain brand of oil filter for my 15 year old car.

Instead, I'm going to buy the cheapest PF52 copy I can find. If that happens to be a fram, then well damnit I'll buy it.