Rear Quarter Window Weatherstripping

dhs1223

Hello everyone:

Some of you have asked me to to look into having the rear quarter window weatherstripping reproduced.

I have done some research, and anyone I have talked to about a new production run wants a minimum production run of 2000 pieces @ 8' long - 16,000 ft. That is enough for 4000 cars. Well, I don't think we can do that.

I did manage to stumble upon someone who has some NOS of this weatherstrip in 8' ( 96 inch) lengths. He doesn't have much and he knows that it is GOLD. If I buy him out, there would be enough material to do 10 cars, which means I would be able to offer 2 pieces @ 23 7/8" to 9 more car owners and keep a set for myself.

Like I said, the guy knows he has something that has some value attached to it. I guess what I need from everyone is an idea of how much people would be willing to spend on this item. That way I can try and negotiate with him. He doesn't want to sell anything less than a full 96 inch length. He only has 5 pieces which would break down to 40' available, 4' or 48 inches needed per car (2 pieces at 23 7/8 inches) therefore, enough material for 10 cars.

Let me know what your feelings are on this.

Thanks

I'd definitely in depending on the price. Im thinking as long as the set is under $100 shipped. Mine are SHOT. I was thinking of wrapping the remainder of the weather stripping thats left in black vinyl, but this would be better.

I'm actually not clear on the piece we're talking about, 8' is pretty long. Thats the rear quarter window between the body and the glass or something else?

Ok, now that I think about it, 23 7/8" probably is about right for the piece I'm thinking of. It'd definitely be worth $100-$125 for a pair of NOS.

I knew that's what was being referred to. My statement still stands. It'd be awesome to have new good ones on my car, but it's not in that great of shape (nor do I have the money) for it to be worth spending that much on these. Sorry, but I'll pass.

I might go $80-$100 for a set. At $100 a set x10 the guy would get $1000 for this shit! If that's not enough for him tell him to push each 8' length one by one up his ass.

Thanks for the replies so far. I need to know where everybody stands so I can get the best price I can from this guy. If I buy them from him, I'll have to carefully cut them to length, so they can be shipped out in a smaller package. Since these are 96" long they will probably not have the rivet holes pre-drilled, but it should be easy enough to transfer the rivet hole locations from the part coming off the car at time of installation.

I will try to get this put together so I can cover cost of the weatherstripping, shipping to me, re-packaging and re-shipping to those who want to buy them and keep the cost to $ 100.00 per set max inclusive of everything. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks

Definitely interested!

Like others have said, $75 -$125 a set shipped seems doable.

I would really like to buy a paird and then look into having these reproduced on a small scale. I can't think Year One and other speciality shops are forced into buying 4000 pieces.

It would appear we as a group are willing to blow $1000 on 10 sets. You gotta wonder if we could get say 100 sets for $5000 effectively cutting our cost in half knowing that you could easily sell 50+ sets for $50 and easily sell the rest on Ebay, Craigslist, and new forum members.

Definitely interested!

Like others have said, $75 -$125 a set shipped seems doable.

I would really like to buy a paird and then look into having these reproduced on a small scale. I can't think Year One and other speciality shops are forced into buying 4000 pieces.

It would appear we as a group are willing to blow $1000 on 10 sets. You gotta wonder if we could get say 100 sets for $5000 effectively cutting our cost in half knowing that you could easily sell 50+ sets for $50 and easily sell the rest on Ebay, Craigslist, and new forum members.

My feeling exactly, but step one is getting a good set to start from. Lets secure some of these and go from there...

I am in for a set if you can keep the cost around a c-note! What time frame are you looking at because my new top should be here in a week or so and I can get this all done at the same time!!