Front Seat Padding - anyone refoam or recover their seats?

Fmr12B

My bottom cushion seat foam is pretty nonexistant. I'm not a big guy and I can feel the metal springs and am sinking into the seat.

I'm looking at having the seats refoamed & shaped and possibly recovered as the white leather has a few scuffs.

Has anyone had this done before?

What should I be looking at in terms of cost?

well the most immediate issue... is FAS.. Fat Ass Syndrome. the foam rubber has been cut into by the springs.

my solution is to place a thin sheet of plastic between the seat and the foam. this makes a flexible solid surface for the foam to sit on.

also... many of our cars have identical foam padding in drivers and passenger seats. basically, if you have buckets, you could grab a good foam cushion from a donor passenger seat and substitute it, adding the plastic to keep the foam from being damaged.

my source of plastic are the thin clear signs meant for overhead panels in many drugstores.

I re-skinned the seats on my Spyder from cloth to leather about a month after I bought....It took around 4-5 hours from start to finish and I beat the shit out of my hands, but the results make it worth it.....in short, if you do plan on taking on the task yourself be prepared for some hard work

You might be able to find aftermarket skins that will replace your current ones. There are a few companies, and some eBay auctions for cars that sell direct fit replacement skins.

You might be able to find aftermarket skins that will replace your current ones. There are a few companies, and some eBay auctions for cars that sell direct fit replacement skins.

Do you happen to know of any examples made for w-bodys?

I was planning to reskin mine this summer, only I was going to make up the skins based on the pattern from the stock seat skins.

Jamie

i know for a fact that lumina seats come apart super easy, and i'll be refoaming my drivers side bottom with a good used passenger side piece of foam once the weather warms up.

Heres a link that should help you out a ton! They even cover making your own new skins for the seats.

http://monkeyfighter.com/autoseats.html

I spent way too long looking for this, lol! I have been contemplating reupholstering my seats for months. This link combined with the fact that I now work on the seat line at work makes me comfortable in doing this myself. (I work on a line upholstering Leather seats for the Lexus RX350, started this past week, given a couple months I'm gonna have some upper body strength for once! HAHA!)

One thing he does mention in that link is that when making new skins using the old skin for a pattern, you could transfer any stretches over to the new skins. I'm just going to use slightly thicker foam in my new covers than what is in there stock, probably 3/8". Now I just need a hog ringer....

Jamie

I'm going to have to jump in on this before too long.

I've got a chunk of metal sticking out the side of my seat, right at the mouldings for your back where you get in. It's been like that since I bought it, but the previous owners were a littler larger than myself and the spring poked through the padding and upholstery. I think it has something to do with the way i/anyone else enters/exits the car, you rub up against that spot and put pressure on it every time.

I've ripped more than one pair of pants on that chunk of metal

Conversion to black interior ftw.

i can't wait to redo my interior. in a couple years maybe, cause so far it has taken 3 years and the exterior isn't even done yet

Haha. My exterior is getting closer. Had all the dents/dings removed from the entire car with PRD, save for the hood. I'll deal with that when i get it painted. Which is after i get the louvers.. the valence... and that damn fender piece. All in good time. But the interior, now that is something that I am capable of doing myself lol