Looking for some wheels and need your help!

CSI_MuNkY

Before I go out and get new tires this spring I thought it would be a good idea to look at getting some rims as well. I don't see the point in going out now and buying a set of new tires and then in a year or 2 having to buy more cause I'm changing the size of my rims. The thing is I'm having problems finding something I really like, maybe I'm just too picky, but I thought I would see if anyone here has suggestions that would fit my criteria.

The thing is I have some guidelines I want to follow pretty closely

Size - 17x8 or 18x8 nothing bigger, nothing less than 8" wide, offset to properly fill out the B4U

Color - NO BLING! I'm looking for gunmetal or black. Gloss black or matt black. The most "bling" I would consider is a polished lip and/or black chrome.

Style - I'm pretty open here, fake rivets might slide with me if the rest of the wheel is right. 5 or 6 spoke style is what I have been looking at.

The tires I will be getting are Fuzion ZRi's 245/xx/xx (xx's because I'll have to figure out what size tire goes with a 17 or 18" rim to give me roughly the same size I have now)

Jamie

may i suggest looking at the Avon Tech M550 A/S tires, as I hear they are better than the Fuzions, only a few dollars more, and they come in 245/45/18 which is the perfect replacement for your stockers. the Fuzions are 245/40 which are a bit smaller.

I'm selling my 17" rims to help pay for the new Bonne. Price is down to $350. They're 17x7. However, the offset is off so you'll need to get some spacers. They're 2006 Acura RSX-S rims with a 5x114.3 bolt patterns (which has never given me problems on the 5x115 on the regal), and the center bore was professionally bored out. The rims cost me $550 shipped, including $180 to bore out the center holes.

https://accounts.craigslist.org/post/shwpst?pii=568085947&db=lv

One of the rims has some slight curb rash, but that's about it. The tires are included and have about 7,000 miles left on them.

Independantfool,

Thanks for the suggestion, I went to tire rack and compared the reviews for the 2 tires and another Avon tire. The ZRis got much better reviews on tire rack than the Avons did. In addition to that I'm looking for a summer tire rather than an all season. This should be the GTPs last winter on the road, after this it will be stored, however if I do have to drive it in the winter again I have a fairly new (75% tread left) set of Dayton Winter Force tires that would be going on before the snow arrived. The Avon 500 (the summer model) seemed to have the same problems as the 550 based on the reviews. A lot of people complained of road noise, which is a big thing for me, its one of the things I'm trying to get away from with the all seasons I have now. Others talked about premature tread wear and uneven tread wear. Whereas people with the ZRis were getting more tread life out of the tires than they expected.

My big problem with tires and rims, I'm limited to what the local dealer can get. I have a pre-approval for up to $2500 at this tire shop so I won't have to pay for 6 months, interest free. That being said I'm definitely not looking to spend $2500 on rims and tires, but I am keeping my mind open for the budget, just not that open, lol. However if I go somewhere else that I don't have the 6 month financing, I just can't afford new rims and tires at this point. My tires do need to be replaced, 3 of 1 brand and 1 of another, one is flat spotted and 2 have cracks showing up, just don't trust them anymore.

My big reason for asking about the rims is actually because of tire rack. I've found that if you go in and change the vehicle among the different 1st gen w-bodies, you get totally different lists. For example, the 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE coupe has 30 wheels on 3 pages, whereas the 93 GTP has 42 wheels on 4 pages... all the wheels if they work on one would work on the other. So the only way for me to get a true feeling for what wheels will work on my car is to go through every 1st gen and go through the lists.

My hope is that other people have already seen options, or explored options that just happen to fit my criteria. At this time I'm not entirely sure what brands this dealer does have. But I was thinking if I could get ideas from people on here, I could make the journey to the shop next weekend and see what, if any, of the options they can get for me.

xtreme, Your link didn't work, but I think I remember seeing the rims in question in another of your threads.... thanks for the offer, but I'm going to have to pass. My reason for having 8" wide is because anything less and I feel like I would be downgrading from the cross laces. I think a 245 should still fit on a 7", but I just see it fitting more comfortably on an 8" rim.

Jamie

If I were to put aftermarket wheels on my TGP they would be these:

http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/penta/penta.html

axis_penta.jpg

They are available in 18 x 8 with 2" and 3" lips available. The 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern will work also.

You'll want to put 245 - 40 R18's on those.

Gunmetal black with a fat chrome lip = sex on a B4U car

I could live with a 2" lip, nothing bigger though. I do like those, any idea what they cost?

edit, over $1100, a little ouch....

Jamie

If you buy any cheaper, your buying cheap paint, cheap finishes, heavy heavy rims, etc...

A quality wheel will cost you a good chunk of change. I can only name one or two person's on here that actually have a nice set of rims, with performance set into mind- Lightweight, offset is perfect, and a finish that will last.

I could live with a 2" lip, nothing bigger though. I do like those, any idea what they cost?

edit, over $1100, a little ouch....

Jamie

If you buy any cheaper, your buying cheap paint, cheap finishes, heavy heavy rims, etc...

A quality wheel will cost you a good chunk of change. I can only name one or two person's on here that actually have a nice set of rims, with performance set into mind- Lightweight, offset is perfect, and a finish that will last.

Very true... Those Pentas are growing on me more and more....

Can anyone tell me the weight of a single cross lace rim? The Axis Penta is 22.25lb

Jamie

So basically the same weight but spread out more. That would actually be a bit of a disadvantage would it not? or is it the other way around?

At any rate, my budget just got a little help... I just got a $4.45 an hour raise at work! WOOHOO!

Jamie

Gotta agree with SLICK, wheels are a very important part of your car. I have had a set of cheap BSA wheels when I got my first set of wheels. I paid 670 shipped with tires for 18". I loved them, but then I saw the quality of a decent set of rims that my brother bought, CENTERLINES wich he paid 1100 with tires. They are forged and they look sharp. THey are roll forged, not cast so they are a decent set of wheels. The wheels pictured above, ahh, they look ok, but you dont hva e a honda, you have a pontiac. I cant really say much there cause my wheels are made in japan, but they weigh 12.3 lbs a piece for 17x8.

BTW-slick who were you talking about that had nice wheels????

I know you have a set of nice wheels. The one's I had (before being stolen) were nice.

That's not saying I don't like the styling of several of the wheels that people on this forum own, but if you more concerned about performance, you need to choose a performance wheel.

Your absolutely right slick... I don't just want cheap ass wheels that do nothing but look flashy. After dumping so much money into my suspension I want to look for something that will be able to keep up. If i can't find or afford a rim that will do just that I'll keep the cross laces. That way, worst case scenario my performance stays the same.

Lets seem some "Good" rims!

Jamie

tracklite wheels, are really nice and pretty cheap, centerlines are cheap and are very nice. You can pick up a set of forged wheels for around $800 for the set without tires. U can also spend close to $1000 a WHEEL for nice wheels as well. My wheels new are around $670 each.

I think the highest I can go is about $1100 for the rims, give or take.

I'll look into them... I think the real tricky part will be finding rims that fill out the B4U nicely... I don't want rims that sit in too far.

Jamie

DOHC v6, thanks for recommending the tracklites... I googled them and found another rim made by Motegi, the SP10. Weighs in at 18.6lb, 18x8", 40mm offset (should work, right?) And the site has them for $162, which fits quite nicely into my budget at $648. I know they aren't a huge weight loss, but hey, a little is better than nothing when it comes to rotational mass. Total I would lose about 4lb off each corner, based on the listed weight of my current tires and the 22lb weight of the cross laces.

L_4978.jpg

Just don't know if I should get them in Matte Black or in "Hyperblack" which I'm assuming is a black chrome by the looks of the pic. I always have liked black chrome....

So far its the only one that turns my crank so to speak... going to keep looking through the week though.

Jamie

this could be a long shot, but i was always a fan of Starion wheels. The front Sport Handling Package wheels are 16 x 8's with an 18mm offset. The lug pattern is 5 X 114.3. You might be able to pick up a full set on http://www.starquestclub.com/forums You can get 9 x 16's with no offset too. Who knows if they would fit, but they would certainly fill out your B4U

Widebody_wheels2.jpg

Just a suggestion so you know your options. But since they are oem wheels, they might be as heavy/heavier. And they aren't bigger than stock diameter, but you could possibly run the 9's. Exciting!

Edit: On the starquest forum, people said the 8 inch wheel is 16 pounds. Sounds pretty light

this could be a long shot, but i was always a fan of Starion wheels. The front Sport Handling Package wheels are 16 x 8's with an 18mm offset. The lug pattern is 5 X 114.3. You might be able to pick up a full set on http://www.starquestclub.com/forums You can get 9 x 16's with no offset too. Who knows if they would fit, but they would certainly fill out your B4U

Widebody_wheels2.jpg

Just a suggestion so you know your options. But since they are oem wheels, they might be as heavy/heavier. And they aren't bigger than stock diameter, but you could possibly run the 9's. Exciting!

Those look like old school Celica wheel, just with 5 holes instead of 4