'89 Regal transmission

CortxVortx

My '89 Regal has the 2.8L engine and a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission.

The irritating thing is that the transmission will sometimes jolt into the next gear. I'm wondering if that's a sign of trouble. The transmission fluid is at the correct level and still clear pink.

Also, at 45 mph, the transmission can't seem to decide whether it wants in 3rd gear or overdrive, and sounds like it's shifting back and forth. Again, trouble?

This car is paid for -- I've got to keep it running. I can't afford to get another car for my son just yet!

I also have a 2.8L with the TH440 4 spd overdrive trans. I had a problem with it jerking/slipping between gears. I used a product by Lucas they make an excellent trans stop slip. It works great! I change my filter, fluid, and add the Lucas and it doesnt slip for about 8 months. When it starts slipping again I just repeat the process. They sell it at Carquest for about $7 a bottle.

Guest Anonymous
how big of a bottle is this lucas stuff? I just did a fluid change and my trans used to respond to transmedic, but I think it grew immune :) lol

I believe it's a quart. The bottle says it's ok to overfill by one quart. I used it on my last filter and fluid change. Works pretty good.

I just bought a bottle 12oz for my trans because 2nd gear is slipping and i would like to know if that 12 oz overfill may do more damage than good?

or wont affect it at all because i heard that its not good to have too much fluid in trans so i bought a 12oz bottle.

http://www.lucasoil.com

The Lucas brand comes in a 24oz bottle. I dont think overfilling by 12oz would hurt anything, but I wouldnt want to go anymore over. I love having a drain plug on my Cutlass, it was the first mod I did to her. I highly recomend it! If you overfill just crack the plug. It makes for a clean trans fluid change.

I also have an 89 Buick Regal (GS) 2.8 with the same tranny. Boy does it suck! Its been rebuilt once, leaks constantly (4th tranny pan gasket!), and it jerks so hard between 1st and second. AND THEN! after traveling at high speeds for a sustained amount of time (interstate travel), it can never find a gear at lower speeds (when i pull off for gas). Will this Lucas stuff do me anygood?

A local repair shop has had cars towed in because the trans slips so bad. After a fluid/filter change and the Lucas the drove off just fine. I would give it a shot. If it doesnt work your only out about $7 It worked great for my slip.