I have an idea for the front of my regal...

xtremerevolution

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/SirMaverick00/95%20Buick%20Regal/IMG_0030.jpg

I'm going to cover a line with masking tape from the grille's top edge to the headlight's top edge and paint that line between the headlight and grille and between the headlight and bumper black, all the way out to the far edge of the turn signal light. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

I'd otherwise have to get it all taken off, sanded, and repainted so it wouldn't look like complete crap. I'm not sure if I could get a spray can that would match that color, and I think the black would be more uniform with the grille and tinted headlights and turn signal lights. Opinions?

K, I don't totally get what you're thinkin about. That little strip in between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the headlights that is all chipped up you're going to paint black? If so, I don't think that will look too bad.

K, I don't totally get what you're thinkin about. That little strip in between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the headlights that is all chipped up you're going to paint black? If so, I don't think that will look too bad.

Yeah that's the strip I'm talking about, although I'd also paint it right up to the top of the grille.

If I repaint it silver, its only going to start chipping again, and I've already touched up that thing so many times that out of what you see there, 1/3 is chipped paint, 1/3 is touch up paint from previous fixes, and the other 1/3 is the original paint. Its really bad. I think painting it black will be the only thing I can do to permanently fix the problem.

Do it. Sounds like It'd turn out ok.

If it looks bad, it can't possibly look worse than all that chipped paint. If I don't like it, I'll take it to Alex to have that whole front section repainted and have the Buick badge shaved off as well.

I love this car, BTW.

I'd go ahead and try it with the black--especially if you're willing to fix it if it doesn't look right. My only concern is that it might look "racoonish." Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet with these things to really know if it will work. If it doesn't, my NAPA store (yours probably too) will custom mix spray cans of discontinued colors for a price ($15/can), but that seems like a small price to pay to fix things right. There's nothing worse than a close-but-no-match paint job.

When I "redded out" my car's back end I was able to order the proper "Bright Red" Dupli-Color paint and I painted the black panel between the taillights and below the trunk. I was thinking about leaving the Oldsmobile logo in the middle clear and lighting it somehow, but the panel really seemed like it was brittle and wanted to crack when I tried to get it apart so I bagged that idea at the time, but I still think it could look really cool. I also painted the eyeliner around the taillights too. And I got a lip spolier off eBay and painted it too. At first I wasn't in love with it, which is depressing after all the work and the commitment of actually sanding/masking/painting, but it's grown on me and now I like it a great deal and I'm very happy I did it.

I love this car, BTW.

I'd go ahead and try it with the black--especially if you're willing to fix it if it doesn't look right. My only concern is that it might look "racoonish." Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet with these things to really know if it will work. If it doesn't, my NAPA store (yours probably too) will custom mix spray cans of discontinued colors for a price ($15/can), but that seems like a small price to pay to fix things right. There's nothing worse than a close-but-no-match paint job.

When I "redded out" my car's back end I was able to order the proper "Bright Red" Dupli-Color paint and I painted the black panel between the taillights and below the trunk. I was thinking about leaving the Oldsmobile logo in the middle clear and lighting it somehow, but the panel really seemed like it was brittle and wanted to crack when I tried to get it apart so I bagged that idea at the time, but I still think it could look really cool. I also painted the eyeliner around the taillights too. And I got a lip spolier off eBay and painted it too. At first I wasn't in love with it, which is depressing after all the work and the commitment of actually sanding/masking/painting, but it's grown on me and now I like it a great deal and I'm very happy I did it.

Alright, i finished. It does indeed look racoonish, but I like it. I'll post pictures in a few minutes. :biggrin:

Ha! I love it. :D. I also painted the interior behind the grille, like the transmission cooler and a bunch of other metal parts.

Before:

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg?t=1199056580

After:

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

I definitely think the black paint matches the tinted headlights, side markers, and black grille very well. The guy who helped me do it said it looked a hell of a lot more mean.

Good job Andrei, I liked how that turned out. Looks killer! Where did you do that, that doesn't look like Cicero.

I'm in Torrance, California, till the 3rd of January, at which time I take my drive back up to Chicago. I'll have near 170,000 miles by the time I get back.

Come on, you didn't see my thread in the Whatever section about the road trip? :biggrin:

Thanks for the compliments though guys. I also thinks it immensely improves the car's appearance.