How much for a TGP Engine?

90TGPGirl

I found out today that my TGP has a cracked block. After $2,200 went into a new head and head gasket, I find out that the block is cracked. How wonderful!

SO...where can a get one and how much?

I have too much invested in this car to just give up on it.

I found out today that my TGP has a cracked block. After $2,200 went into a new head and head gasket, I find out that the block is cracked. How wonderful!

SO...where can a get one and how much?

I have too much invested in this car to just give up on it.

Was this the same repair shop that replaced your head gasket and just now found out that you have cracked block?

Is the crack visible from the outside or they are just telling you that the block has a crack on it without seeing physically because coolant and oil are mixing?

I would be skeptical about that repair shop. You just spend $2200 on repair costs and now it has a cracked block? Perhaps the head has a little of warp in it or they did not check the head for squareness and they did not machine it and just put the head gasket anyway and it could have leaked internally in the head gasket itself.

Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion at this point from different repair shop if I were you. Is there any warranty on the last repair or it might be their fault too?

Get a 3.1 block (turbo and N/A blocks are the same) and then build up the engine with forged pistons, ported heads, and all that stuff. That is what I would do if I were in your position.

I think you should find a new shop! These guys sound like the typical stereotype shop that is taking advantage of someone who doesn't know better. If they did so many "needed" repairs and they still have issues finding the problem, then they should refund your excisting repairs before they go any further. I would not let them check the oil, let alone do a repair and replace of the motor!!

Sounds like you have been dooped!! 8)

yeah no shit! when i went to have my mufflers put on the guy said it would be around 70 bucks plus tax and when i went in to do it i told him to put a set of tips on as well and he said that would be 20/pair and the total bill came out to 130!!! i thought it was odd and then when i got home i looked at the receipt and it said "catalytic converter - $30" and i looked and the old catalytic converter was still there, so i was like wtf!?!! but i just let it go because i dunno, im stupid i guess

I would try a 3100 block and roller cam.

The 3100 block is stronger... better.

There's a complete TGP engine locally for $200, but I believe one of the forum members is coming out to pick it up next week.

Thanks guys!!

It turns out that it wasn't a cracked block. The mechanic called me last night, this is a different guy, and he apologized repeatedly for assuming that the oil leak was a result of a cracked block. It was simply one of the turbo oil lines not tightenend. My car is up and running beautifully!!! I am picking it up tomorrow!

Phew!!!! 8)

The mechanic called me last night, this is a different guy, and he apologized repeatedly for assuming that the oil leak was a result of a cracked block. It was simply one of the turbo oil lines not tightenend.

assuming ??? assuming??? That's what happens when they assume.

It makes an ASS of U and ME. (ASS U ME).

Now.. why would a mechanic immediately tell you that it has a cracked block? Is it because you are a female or they just want your $$$ again for repairing uncessary things to fix a simple problem??

I've encountered many mechanics that tells the customers that they have to repair and expensive job even though the problem is just minor and of course doing the whole job would also fix the original problem.

It is like a plumber telling the customer that they have to replace the whole pipe, faucet handle/stem even though the problem could be just as easily fixed by replacing the rubber washer.

I won't go to that repair shop again if I were you.. :(

I would try a 3100 block and roller cam.

The 3100 block is stronger... better.

Really? Are there any major differences between the 3100 and 3.1 blocks? I may just have to find a used 3100 somewhere and take the block :twisted: :lol:

There's a complete TGP engine locally for $200, but I believe one of the forum members is coming out to pick it up next week.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :peace:

There are differences in the two blocks. I have one of those on the floor too because I thought about it at one time.

It can be done, but its not as easy as swapping one for the other. Its been a while since I've looked at it, but you will have to get the timing cover, oil pan with the block (not hard if used). And the engine mount and dog bone mount/ac compressor mount from a w-body with a 3100 as they are different. Also, there is no mount on the block for the coil packs, and the knock sensor goes in the front and not the back (not a big deal). Then you wil have to put a fitting in the new 3100 oil pan for the turbo drain, and find the adapter for the oil filter that will work right.

Nothing is a huge deal, but enough to make you have to think about it and do some creative thinking/fabricating

Chris

There are differences in the two blocks. I have one of those on the floor too because I thought about it at one time.

It can be done, but its not as easy as swapping one for the other. Its been a while since I've looked at it, but you will have to get the timing cover, oil pan with the block (not hard if used). And the engine mount and dog bone mount/ac compressor mount from a w-body with a 3100 as they are different. Also, there is no mount on the block for the coil packs, and the knock sensor goes in the front and not the back (not a big deal). Then you wil have to put a fitting in the new 3100 oil pan for the turbo drain, and find the adapter for the oil filter that will work right.

Nothing is a huge deal, but enough to make you have to think about it and do some creative thinking/fabricating

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris :D I may have to try this project..since I'm in no hurry! :twisted:

The lack of the mount for coil packs isn't the end of the world. I was thinking about re-locating them anyway to get the plug wires somwhat off of the exhaust manifolds. :shock: And the oil filter can always be re-located as well :D

There is an oil filter cooler for the 3100 that's virtually identical to the one used on the TGP.

So... aside from the ignition/coil pack assembly not having a place to mount and the need to make a hole in the pan for oil return, there's not a whole lot else that's real complicated.

I thought about using a 3400 block... but I've also been thinking maybe a 3100 block is a better choice due to thicker cylinder walls that could potentially handle more boost.

There is an oil filter cooler for the 3100 that's virtually identical to the one used on the TGP.

Is that cooler straight from GM? Or an aftermarket? :)