gmrulz4u

Do all 2.8 and 3.1 engines have that little black box near the upper firewall area that has something to do with vacuum? I'm confused because all the vacuum diagrams show the 2nd from the right vacuum hose, coming out of the throttle body, going directly to the Charcoal Canister in the rear, but when I trace that hose, it goes to that little black box?

What's the point of this thing? It looks like it couldn't do much at all?

THANKS!:)

I thought the canister purge solenoid was way at the back, under the drivers side rear wheel-well, along with the canister itself?

Guess I wrong? Thanks Shawn!:) So that's not used for anything else, is it? Cause it looks like it has more than just one input and output...maybe it's just me?

OK...so I can disconnect that vacuum hose without setting a code or causing any problems, correct? I'm trying to verify if the canister purge system is causing my richness...

I have no idea. I seem to remember there being some cannister error codes as if the ECM monitors some part of it, but I could be wrong. Be careful though, disconnecting its vacuum hose can introduce fuel vapors and those are explosive. I'm not sure if the solenoid is normally closed or normally open, but if it's normally closed, then disconnecting its electrical connector should prevent it from introducing fuel vapors underhood.