Rotor Shopping

NVMY03GT

Man i have to hand it to you, if you firmly beileive that drilling a rotor is something unnecessary, then so be it, however there is a large populious that believes otherwise, and i am part of that. i just find it hard to believe that both Mercedes AMG and Porsche cross drill their rotors for no reason. mabie the germans are just bored, who knows

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• BXX

• NVMY03GT

• Chancho

I can personally vouch for the stopping power of drilled rotors. Do you have drilled rotors? If you don't, you will have no right to be calling me a liar in your next post.

i don't cause i don't waste my money.

you guys need to get off this forum and talk to people with real world experience. the facts are there, but go ahead and be a sucker to marketing.

Man you have to be really board. First off yes factoty rotors on the luminas and pretty much any other cars are solid. The solid rotor gives you more surface area for the pad, so yes it does give more area for the pad to hit. The fins inside the factory rotors are straight, they cool the disapate the heat so that the rotors dont crack. NOW, drilled rotors let the heat to disapate the heat quicker so that the rotors stay cooler under high loads. Stock rotors can not cool as fast as the drilled rotors. The drilled rotors also have a diffents stlye fin design inside the rotor, making it easier for the heat to disapate. In any situation heat is a killer in efficiency. In electronics its very bad, in any situation it really is bad so getting the heat away faster is the best thing. Slotted rotors are better for keeping your pads clean. They cool a little better, but not much they are more or cleaning the pad surface. Now you may not think that the slotted or drilled rotors are better but you are incorrect. Now drilled and slotted are just for show. There is way to much material gone from the rotor and can cause it to crack. I know what you are saying that the stock rotors are better then the EBAY drilled rotors and you are right. BUT they are not better then CRYO treated powerstop rotors. Please do your research before you make a post that is very argumentitve. MOD please wathc this as it can cause a pisssing contest.

I can personally vouch for the stopping power of drilled rotors. Do you have drilled rotors? If you don't, you will have no right to be calling me a liar in your next post.

you guys need to get off this forum and talk to people with real world experience. the facts are there, but go ahead and be a sucker to marketing.

You are going to edit your post to criticize me baised on your personal experience and you are going to discredit engineers on many different automotive levels... wow real mature, concidering that on most any true european autocross circut they use cross drilled rotors, not to mention F1 and on most high end stock european cars they only come with stock cross dirlled rotors... please before you discredit me do your own research

I'm not a sucker to marketing. I bought the rotors, installed them, and noticed a big difference. End of story. I don't see how you can argue against that with your so called research. I ride my brakes harder than you can imagine, and so far I haven't had any warping. I'll let you know if they ever do crack. I have the impression that these are quality rotors though. Not THAT much material is gone to the point where they'd actually crack given the extra cooling ability.

Photo_100307_005.jpg

These are my PowerStop rotors. Still looks like enough material to me to keep them from cracking.

Man i have to hand it to you, if you firmly beileive that drilling a rotor is something unnecessary, then so be it, however there is a large populious that believes otherwise, and i am part of that. i just find it hard to believe that both Mercedes AMG and Porsche cross drill their rotors for no reason. mabie the germans are just bored, who knows

x2

And one more thing. Some of you may think that by losing some surface area while braking, you'll have less surface area to brake on. At the same time, you'll also have to consider the fact that you'll also have more pressure per square inch of that reduced surface area.

They are still there to help minimize the effects of out-gassing... Dont think newer pads outgas, then GTFO... If there was no out-gassing, then there would be no brake fade... But brake fade is still there, soooooooo... Pads still outgas... And yes, slightly less than the olden days of organic brake pads, but guess what, OEM is still organic on a lot of vehicle...

Make sure you tell a F-1 engineer wht he doesn't need those on a 240mph race car :wink:

While you're at it, go ahead and tell me again that upgrading to powerstop drilled rotors and bendix CT3 pads didn't make a single difference on my front 11.25" w-body rotors. I refuse to believe the difference I noticed is only from the brake pads, since I've used some pretty darn good brake pads in the past, and the rotors I bought weren't some cheap chinese crap.

Do you have your stopping distance in feet, before and after you installed the drilled rotors? I haven't seen you post any measurements.

Stop playing off your "butt dyno" as fact.

Make sure you tell a F-1 engineer wht he doesn't need those on a 240mph race car :wink:

While you're at it, go ahead and tell me again that upgrading to powerstop drilled rotors and bendix CT3 pads didn't make a single difference on my front 11.25" w-body rotors. I refuse to believe the difference I noticed is only from the brake pads, since I've used some pretty darn good brake pads in the past, and the rotors I bought weren't some cheap chinese crap.

Do you have your stopping distance in feet, before and after you installed the drilled rotors? I haven't seen you post any measurements.

Stop playing off your "butt dyno" as fact.

As far as I can tell, some people around here are going by theory as to why drilled rotors are pointless.

I'm the only one here with a w-body who's going by experience saying that drilled rotors are not pointless.

I'm not going to go to a special track to get stopping distance measurements before and after installation of rotors on a car worth $3000 at best. I'm going to say flat out that the drilled rotors immensely improved stopping power. It doesn't benefit ANYONE around here for me to claim that, so I have no incentive to mention my experience other than to assist others in making decisions on purchasing future rotors. These rotors and pads immensely improved my car's braking ability, and they bite a lot harder with a lot less effort than the last ones. Until you get drilled rotors and can prove me wrong based on your own experience, I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me a liar.

As I said before, I'm the only one here (to my knowledge) with quality drilled front 11.25" w-body rotors and high end brake pads, so I'm claiming that they make a difference worth paying for. If you don't agree, don't buy the rotors, but don't try to discredit me based on "theory."

Expensive rotors are a waste of money on w-bodies.

$10.00 pads and $15.00 rotors from Autozone stop my Cutlass as well, and with a smoother pedal, than Raybestos PG Plus pads and NAPA slotted rotors I wasted my money on a few years back.

Sloted rotors are pointless, the only purpose they serve is to clean the pad on every rotation, and give it a fresh surface, drilled aid in cooling and also assist in braking when wet, i have sloitid rotors, the only aid they serve is that they help out on the ceramic pads from building up too much heat

Jesus, what is so hard about this... The main point of drilled or slotted or the combo is to aid cooling and to help minimize the effects of outgassing which in turn minimizes brake fade... When brake fade is at a minimum, we see better stopping distances...

What did you say, slotted rotors do nothing? Umm slotted and drilled both have there advantages and disadvantages.

I didnt say they do nothing, i said drilled was better

the only purpose they serve is to clean the pad on every rotation, and give it a fresh surface

therefore your statement was false

Jesus, what is so hard about this... The main point of drilled or slotted or the combo is to aid cooling and to help minimize the effects of outgassing which in turn minimizes brake fade... When brake fade is at a minimum, we see better stopping distances...

I think the main problem here is that there are some people around who don't believe there's any benefit to using drilled/dimpled/slotted rotors. Evidently, they don't have drilled/slotted rotors on their cars, which makes their arguments slightly less credible than those who do have them and can vouch for their benefit.

You can post 10 pages of arguments why you think drilled/slotted rotors are worthless, but so long as you haven't used them on your car and I have, your arguments don't hold as much credibility as mine do.

I think the main problem here is that there are some people around who don't believe there's any benefit to using drilled/dimpled/slotted rotors. Evidently, they don't have drilled/slotted rotors on their cars, which makes their arguments slightly less credible than those who do have them and can vouch for their benefit.

You can post 10 pages of arguments why you think drilled/slotted rotors are worthless, but so long as you haven't used them on your car and I have, your arguments don't hold as much credibility as mine do.

x2

and if you think they are a waste of money just dont get them and keep it to yourself !! instead of crying for money that you didnt "wasted" and pretending that we are just dumb. we got your point !! now let us talk about our nice looking and expensive rotors, would you?? :wink:

shoot, i just wish i had the $$$......besides, what looks sweeter? regular rotors? or cross-drilled? slotted?

seriously.

shoot, i just wish i had the $$$......besides, what looks sweeter? regular rotors? or cross-drilled? slotted?

seriously.

lol. Besides the look, I'd still rate my rotors+pads as one of the top 3 most noticeable upgrades I've done to my car, on the same level with the addco rear sway bar and roller rockers. They make that much of a difference over stock rotors and pads.