Rotor Shopping

NVMY03GT

Front Rotors are shot - Warped beyond belief. Going price seems to be 35.00 a rotor locoally - Ive seen Brembos on Tire Rack for 35.00 as well - Obviously these are better make. Do they go cheaper than 35.00 a piece?

This is for a 1995 Grand Prix SE

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• BXX

• NVMY03GT

• Chancho

Any automotive parts store should have replacements for about 18.99 to 19.99 each with at least 2 year warranty. Keep us updated!

Yeah I found ones for like 18.99 they are made by ValueCraft - Something about not being able to stop the way it should LOL. Im just affraid of having to replace them again immediately.

if you buy the cheapest shit you will replace them soon... Spend the money and get a quality product :thumb:

Hence why I am asking for some advice - Is there cheaper than 35.00 that will last me or is 35.00 the going rate?

Not always true....

I have run Valucraft rotors, they don't warp right away... Ignore rotor quality as that is far from an issue, the most important thing that will factor the most is the brake pads. Rotors don't warp on their own :wink: There is always an actual underlying problem that causes them to. i.e. bad rear brakes, problem with prop. valve/abs module, calipers, brake hoses. Crappy braking habits :lol: :lol:

What was the main reason I bought ValuCraft rotors, ummmm, they cost me $7.99 each :lol:

My rule of thumb is ... if it says anywhere on the box...

"Made in China"

"Made in Mexico"

It isn't worth your time to put them on let alone money. Inferior metal defects abound from the places that make these and they warp within months, if your lucky to have them warp before 90days to get your money back.

Also if it has NOTHING printed on the box. There is a high chance that it's from one of the above places.

I don't know how much this is worth, but I'm selling a pair of 11.25" w-body rotors that have 20,000 miles on them, bought for $55 each. They were supposed to be the highest quality rotor they had in stock (among 3 others that were cheaper). I can send them off for $30 plus shipping. I took them off my car because I bought drilled rotors. They weren't warped, and are still in great condition.

all rotors warp. my dad spent money on rabestos (sp) and those went right away. i went to advanced auto and got cheap wearevers and haven't had a problem since may.... so about.....9k? i dunno. personally im not going to spend the money on better rotors cause they warp either way. just my $.02.

all rotors warp. my dad spent money on rabestos (sp) and those went right away. i went to advanced auto and got cheap wearevers and haven't had a problem since may.... so about.....9k? i dunno. personally im not going to spend the money on better rotors cause they warp either way. just my $.02.

I've always bought premium rotors for my car. The first rotors I had on the car were the rotors the car came with when I bought it with 67,000 miles. I didn't have to change them until the car reached 135,000 miles, and I ride my brakes pretty hard. I always bought very good brake pads though...

While it's true all rotors can warp. Ones with inferior metal will warp faster than ones which are made from proper stock. So go ahead and buy rotors for $20 against the ones which went for $50 and when you get less than 10k on the cheap ones and just under 20k on the expensive ones the time it takes to change them will be evident. I'll spend that extra $10 a wheel to avoid pulling them twice as often any day. Thats if your lucky to have gotten more than 2 months driving before 'thup thup thup thup...' happens. I lost track of how many times THAT happened because I didn't want to spend that extra $$$. Then there is the extra stress on your pads and then the caliper itself being beaten on steadily.

I remember the first time I replaced the rear brakes. $1000+/- in parts and labour.

-1 set of pads

-2 rotors

-2 calipers

-3 brake cable sections

-labour quote

Eep!

So in lieu of beating the crap out of the other components I spend a little on sacrificial parts to save the more expensive ones. :burnout:

Guest alpahgtp

I will be needing rotors here pretty soon, I would like to get some drilled/slotted rotors, but also my budget is kinda little, please let me know what do you end up with...

Expensive rotors are a waste of money on w-bodies.

$10.00 pads and $15.00 rotors from Autozone stop my Cutlass as well, and with a smoother pedal, than Raybestos PG Plus pads and NAPA slotted rotors I wasted my money on a few years back.

$10.00 pads and $15.00 rotors from Autozone stop my Cutlass as well, and with a smoother pedal, than Raybestos PG Plus pads and NAPA slotted rotors I wasted my money on a few years back.

I'd beg to differ. I noticed a pretty huge difference in braking power when I installed my PowerStop drilled rotors and Bendix CT-3 ceramic pads. Not only do they brake much harder under immediate conditions, but they also require less pressure to stop the car under normal driving.

That, and I like the drilled rotor "drill" sound.

I'd beg to differ. I noticed a pretty huge difference in braking power when I installed my PowerStop drilled rotors and Bendix CT-3 ceramic pads. Not only do they brake much harder under immediate conditions, but they also require less pressure to stop the car under normal driving.

That, and I like the drilled rotor "drill" sound.

Your '95 has bigger brakes than my '93, in addition to a modified suspension. Expensive a$$ pads and rotors probably make more of a difference.

I still stand by my first statement in regards to first-gen's small ass brakes.

xtremerevolution

How much did you paid for your rotors?? Pics?? Info?? If you don't mind of course...

I created a thread about this. You need to browse around here more often bro.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,63378.0.html

The pads were $65 special ordered from Advance Auto. The rotors were $90 apiece. I had ordered the EBC rotors at $80 apiece but they shipped me 12" rotors with a different bolt pattern after being backordered for 3 weeks, so I didn't want to wait the extra 3 weeks to get the right rotors in and yet again risk the chance of receiving the wrong ones, so I just ordered the PowerStop rotors.

They're that expensive because they're zinc plated, which immensely aids in preventing corrosion and rust. This is pretty important if you have aftermarket rims that show off your rotors.

Guest alpahgtp

thanks a lot, I was just looking at that thread lol, $80 don't sound too bad, like a said i need some new rotors anyway, and I like the look of the drill/slot rotors, so I think I'm going to get those, one more question, would they work with any brake pads? or do I need special ones? i ask because I just bought and changed mine all around last weekend (it's when I realized that I needed some rotors) lol

thanks a lot, I was just looking at that thread lol, $80 don't sound too bad, like a said i need some new rotors anyway, and I like the look of the drill/slot rotors, so I think I'm going to get those, one more question, would they work with any brake pads? or do I need special ones? i ask because I just bought and changed mine all around last weekend (it's when I realized that I needed some rotors) lol

They'll work fine with any brake pads. You don't need any special ones. I just bought everything new because I wanted to start fresh.

xtremerevolution picked me up from work the other day to go and pick up Christine and his brakes are no joke! Cross drilled and Bendix Ceramic pads is what he told me. They do perform really well and make a very cool noise when brakeing hard. His car can literally stop on a dime!

has anyone tried ATE Slotted rotors ?

they sell for about 80 bucks now , I'm thinking about getting some because I find my brakes get rather hot in stop and go driving , which for me is an everyday thing as I live in toronto.

I'm hoping the ATE's will run cooler , I currently have the cheap chinese ones from crappy tire , but good ceramic pads.. they are not warped yet but we shall see.

-95 monte carlo Z34