• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• BXX

• NVMY03GT

• Chancho

Hey guys just to add to this thread go out to Ebay and do a search for seller by the name of r1concepts look at his store. Its pretty impressive.

To the guy above that put on $15 rotors and $10 pads. Are you being sarcastic in price?

Im not a hard driver but anything is better than what I have as the pulsation is for shit :(

Hey guys just to add to this thread go out to Ebay and do a search for seller by the name of r1concepts look at his store. Its pretty impressive.

To the guy above that put on $15 rotors and $10 pads. Are you being sarcastic in price?

Im not a hard driver but anything is better than what I have as the pulsation is for shit :(

lol @ $15 rotors.

I ride my brakes like you wouldn't believe. With the way this regal handles, its more fun than you can imagine. I give people rides and they're like whoa wtf? Stopping distances improved immensely with the front rotors and pads I just put in, and the brakes also catch a lot more easily, requiring less pressure on the pedal to stop the car. I would imagine this would help improve the life of the rotors.

Honestly, I'll never buy cheap rotors and brake pads again. I seriously couldn't believe how big of an improvement this was over my previous $100 (pair) rotors and $40 semi-ceramic brake pads.

lol @ $15 rotors.

I ride my brakes like you wouldn't believe. With the way this regal handles, its more fun than you can imagine. I give people rides and they're like whoa wtf? Stopping distances improved immensely with the front rotors and pads I just put in, and the brakes also catch a lot more easily, requiring less pressure on the pedal to stop the car. I would imagine this would help improve the life of the rotors.

Honestly, I'll never buy cheap rotors and brake pads again. I seriously couldn't believe how big of an improvement this was over my previous $100 (pair) rotors and $40 semi-ceramic brake pads.

Yeah well riding your brakes I can see it warping rotors I yell at drivers like you all the time :)

But for the rest of us braking is importnat I realize it but is cross drilled and or slotted that imporant if you don't beat your brakes to death.

yeah, cheaping out on BRAKE PARTS....parts that are pretty important to the safety of yourself and the fellow drivers on the road, one thing I don't cheap out on are brakes.

lol @ $15 rotors.

Yeah well riding your brakes I can see it warping rotors I yell at drivers like you all the time :)

But for the rest of us braking is importnat I realize it but is cross drilled and or slotted that imporant if you don't beat your brakes to death.

You also have to consider that these are drilled, so they cool down a lot better and faster too. And, since they are both very high quality, they require less pressure (and therefore generate less heat) to produce the same amount of braking power.

yeah, cheaping out on BRAKE PARTS....parts that are pretty important to the safety of yourself and the fellow drivers on the road, one thing I don't cheap out on are brakes.

Exactly. Good brakes and good tires are one thing I don't go cheap on. Your life is riding on those.

Any automotive parts store should have replacements for about 18.99 to 19.99 each with at least 2 year warranty. Keep us updated!

Yeah I found ones for like 18.99 they are made by ValueCraft - Something about not being able to stop the way it should LOL. Im just affraid of having to replace them again immediately.

haha valuecraps i always try to get customers not to buy those

Any automotive parts store should have replacements for about 18.99 to 19.99 each with at least 2 year warranty. Keep us updated!

Yeah I found ones for like 18.99 they are made by ValueCraft - Something about not being able to stop the way it should LOL. Im just affraid of having to replace them again immediately.

The Valuecraft rotors are plenty adaquate, they are equal to an OEM rotors.... 95% of stopping power relies on good brake pads... i.e. Valuecraft pads are adaquate, but don't have the stopping power and aren't very quite of other pads

The Valuecraft rotors are plenty adaquate, they are equal to an OEM rotors.... 95% of stopping power relies on good brake pads... i.e. Valuecraft pads are adaquate, but don't have the stopping power and aren't very quite of other pads

ARGH Im hereing both sides of the track on this? Are they good or are they bad? I really dont beat rotors but I do have a need to stop quick sometimes being that Cincinnati drivers SUCK!

ARGH Im hereing both sides of the track on this? Are they good or are they bad? I really dont beat rotors but I do have a need to stop quick sometimes being that Cincinnati drivers SUCK!

Valuecraft rotors, fine, just have a good set of pads that aren't really harsh on rotors, but at $18/ea, they are cheap enough to be considered to be replaced each pad change... Pads are what makes the difference!!!! Drilled and slotted, fine, but at $80/ea on average and maybe a 5 foot decreased stopping distance when HOT, I will do what the law and common sense say to do, DON'T FOLLOW TOO CLOSELY!!!

W-body brake suck as it is, why spend $400 on rotors??? Your only polishing a turd.. It's still a turd. Invest that money into larger brakes. i.e Mustangs had 13" rotors stock with about the same hub height and same bolt pattern as a W-body...

Valuecraft rotors, fine, just have a good set of pads that aren't really harsh on rotors, but at $18/ea, they are cheap enough to be considered to be replaced each pad change... Pads are what makes the difference!!!! Drilled and slotted, fine, but at $80/ea on average and maybe a 5 foot decreased stopping distance when HOT, I will do what the law and common sense say to do, DON'T FOLLOW TOO CLOSELY!!!

W-body brake suck as it is, why spend $400 on rotors??? Your only polishing a turd.. It's still a turd. Invest that money into larger brakes. i.e Mustangs had 13" rotors stock with about the same hub height and same bolt pattern as a W-body...

I thought the mustangs had the 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Not exactly the same. It might fit though, if you can get the caliper mounted too.

I'm not sure if it was the pads or the drilled rotors that did it, but my stopping power increased dramatically once I upgraded the front brakes. I've used $60 ceramic pads on the front before but those alone didn't make the difference I noticed with all of this combined. It's quite incredible.

ya' date=' mustangs are 5x114.3

[/quote']

but they still fit on our hubs... And at appx $70/ea (AutoZone Pricing) they make a good common part to start around.

$70 each? I got my drilled PowerStop rotors for $90 each.

[/quote']

but they still fit on our hubs... And at appx $70/ea (AutoZone Pricing) they make a good common part to start around.

Are your's 13"..... no.

[/quote']

Are your's 13"..... no.

As far as materials go, going from 11.25 to 13" is not that huge of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote']

Are your's 13"..... no.

As far as materials go, going from 11.25 to 13" is not that huge of a difference.

13" rotors will provide more leverage to stop the car. Much more of an improvement than 11.25 slotted rotors.

Good either drilled OR sloted rotors, not the oem rotors that get drilled that you can buy on ebay are very efficent, thats what they use stock on high end european cars, and thats what power stop uses, drilled aids in cooling at a much faster rate, and it helps dry out rotors when its wet out it IS better

Drilled and slotted do nothing for performance. If you want them because they are pretty, that's your call. If you are buying them as an upgrade....don't bother.

1. One of the major functions of the braking systems of the car is to dissipate heat. By crossdrilling rotors you are decreasing surface area of the rotor which the brake pad contacts. This can be offset by using larger rotors, but then why not use solid, larger diameter rotors in the first place?

1a. A second way the rotors dissipate heat is by using cooling fins that are sandwiched between the two surfaces of the rotor. These cooling fins are shaped so that they act as a fan across the inside surface(s) of the rotor. By drilling holes in the surfaces, the air tends to escape through these holes thus negating a portion of air that would travel to the outer radius of the rotor. By disrupting the airflow that was originally designed into the rotor's cooling vanes, are your rotors more prone to hot spotting?

2. Modern disc brake pads do not out-gas like pads of the past. Why do we need gas-escape holes in our rotor surface then.

3. By crossdrilling into the surface, you are disrupting the crystalline grain structure in the immediate area of the hole. This in time could create stress areas where crack formation could occur. Are your cross-drilled holes chamfered to minimize stress risers? Have the rotors undergone heat treatment, such as annealing or cryogenic treatment to restore the metals grain structure? Even if the rotors are heat treated, the brakes will naturally heat with application then cool during normal driving/resting. How have your rotors faired with this heating/cooling cycles?

4. Please post some Q value numbers for you rotors. And by this I mean heat transfer numbers. What are the numbers for the heat transfer from the inside radius of the rotor to the outside radius? This would have to be substantiated for rotors with and without holes. Since the holes allow air movement through the surface of the rotor, thus disrupting the designed airflow, how is convection of heat affected by this?

http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.html

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakesystems_upgradeselections.shtml

DRILLED VS SLOTTED ROTORS

For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".

Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.

i can continue.....

Make sure you tell a F-1 engineer wht he doesn't need those on a 240mph race car :wink:

While you're at it, go ahead and tell me again that upgrading to powerstop drilled rotors and bendix CT3 pads didn't make a single difference on my front 11.25" w-body rotors. I refuse to believe the difference I noticed is only from the brake pads, since I've used some pretty darn good brake pads in the past, and the rotors I bought weren't some cheap chinese crap.

I can personally vouch for the stopping power of drilled rotors. Do you have drilled rotors? If you don't, you will have no right to be calling me a liar in your next post.