Front mount intercooler, loss of psi, mbc to make up?

90TGP

Ok, I'm planning on installing my front mount intercooler SOMETIME this summer onto my TGP. I know that when going to a larger intercooler, you'll loose .5-1 psi.

Since the stock psi is around 7-8, and the TopGun chip brings it up to 12psi, and I'd loose 1psi with a FMI. Could I use a manual boost control to turn the boost up 1-1.5psi back to the 12psi?

:?

Ok, I'm planning on installing my front mount intercooler SOMETIME this summer onto my TGP. I know that when going to a larger intercooler, you'll loose .5-1 psi.

Since the stock psi is around 7-8, and the TopGun chip brings it up to 12psi, and I'd loose 1psi with a FMI. Could I use a manual boost control to turn the boost up 1-1.5psi back to the 12psi?

Ok, I don't much detail about the 3.1L turbo and it's components.

But, a buddy in MN made an adjustable control arm to increase boost mechanically for his Eclipse GSX.

Now, don't know if this can help you to translate more power, but it's something I saw and it worked for his set-up.

However, don't ask me many questions on how; I couldn't get a good look or experiment on it.

I don't remember if the GSX has a wastegate or a blow-ff valve, but that's what the adjustable rod was connected to.

Wow... don't I sound dumb... :roll:

- Erik

I understand. He made an adjustable wastegate actuator rod to allow more boost on his turbo. It's a very common thing to do to turbo cars.

Ah, thank you 90TGP. :D

I knew I was close, but didn't want to sound like an ass...

- Erik

Guest TurboSedan
Wouldn't the turbo still be making 12 lbs. of boost? I think the loss in boost is after the i/c.

yes, but there is always a pressure drop going thru the intercooler. some are better than others, some flow better, some cool better etc. with my setup, i'd like to delete A/C, use a FMIC and mandrel bent piping going thru the 'window' where the old TGP intercooler went.

joshua

redturbo90 wrote:

Wouldn't the turbo still be making 12 lbs. of boost? I think the loss in boost is after the i/c.

yes, but there is always a pressure drop going thru the intercooler. some are better than others, some flow better, some cool better etc.

When we installed the Intercooler on the GTP we lost ~2psi, but we made it up by running a small enough pulley to gain an additional 4psi. But, yes, all intercoolers will give you a pressure drop because they are a restriction. As malibuolds said, some are better than others.

Could I use a manual boost control to turn the boost up 1-1.5psi back to the 12psi?

What kind of manual boost controller are you planning on using? I am thinking about getting one for the TGP to temporarily use to see if I can get more than 2psi out of it or not, but I don't know where I can get one or what kind to get. The main problem is that I am cheap, and want to get one really cheap.

The TGP has closed loop boost control, meaning it can adjust for conditions that cause varying boost. However, they are right, you may not have enough wastegate to hold the boost, as the wastegate will blow open from EXHAUST pressure at about 14-15 psi of INTAKE pressure. Shortening the rod or adding a spring are ways to compensate for this, but you need to see what kind of boost you are getting after the intercooler mod as a MBC may not help if the wastegate can't hold it.

Chris

Guest TurboSedan

i'd like to use a grainger valve set for 13-14 psi myself, it seems to work well on my brothers turbo dodges. my GTS is definately getting it. i'm not sure about the TGP motor going into my CS yet tho.

joshua