why doesnt anyone love the lq1?

theoneliln

Nothing beats the scream of an LQ1 above 4000 RPM, I find the powerband a lot more fun than pushrod motors that run out of breath in the higher RPMS.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pwmin

• Euro

• theoneliln

• GtipGary

Tim G on this board (doesn't post much anymore) has a 96-99 Monte with a T3 or TE04 turbo on a 3.4. When we saw him dyno in Colorado 2 years ago it put down 320 HP & about 320 Ft lbs of torque.

Paul, am I right on those numbers? I want to say thats what it put down.

I love my LQ1 but at the same time i hate it. Im CONSTANTLY having problems with it :thumbsdown:, i would say that im fixing something on the car every other week. Most of the stuff lately has been very minor. I did have some shit that was a huge pita to fix. On the other hand I love my car, love the way it looks, love the way it sounds, and i known that the LQ1 isnt the fastest motor but im satisfied with it. I really wanna get it dynoed.

the average gen1 W body owner is a kid with a hand-me-down car or cheap beater - and honestly not capable of the custom work required to make the LQ1 realize its potential. this is not meant as a shot to anyone, but it's true. years ago when i was a n00b driving teenager i had a hand-me-down lumina and i didn't know a damn thing about working on EFI cars. anyway you take the handful of hardcore guys who love these cars not because it's what they have or could afford, but for the love of the car itself and would have one no matter what their income(hence i bought a TGP and am selling the pimp caddy). out of this group there are still only a handful capable of doing so, and then out of the capable group there are enough people to count on one hand who are willing to put in the work and time to make their engine perform to the best of their ability.

which brings me to the L67 swap - the crutch of the GM FWD community. not fast enough? put in an L67. need a tune-up? L67. thermostat needs replaced? L67 swap. it's one of those things that is easy enough for a slightly experienced person to do, and the bolt-on support is large.

anyway i like the challenge of working with the 60* V6 platform in general and i love the LQ1. i only wish i could have used mine somewhere when the z34 rotted out.

One of the best posts ever.

Most people don't like the LQ1 because of it's physical size. :lol: Everyone thinks they're terrible to work on since they take up the majority of the engine bays they're in. I don't mind the LQ1, they're pretty quick in stock form and really reliable despite what most people claim. I have a zero mile LQ1 kicking around my shop that I'll be using for a project in the future.

EDIT: I don't think anyone mentioned Shane's turbocharged LQ1. He has the same or a very similar setup that Tim G. runs in his car. There are a lot of other modified LQ1's out there if you look around....turbocharged, supercharged, etc. :smile:

I love my LQ1 but at the same time i hate it. Im CONSTANTLY having problems with it :thumbsdown:, i would say that im fixing something on the car every other week. Most of the stuff lately has been very minor. I did have some shit that was a huge pita to fix. On the other hand I love my car, love the way it looks, love the way it sounds, and i known that the LQ1 isnt the fastest motor but im satisfied with it. I really wanna get it dynoed.

Remember Gary, you own Tims old car.

EDIT: I don't think anyone mentioned Shane's turbocharged LQ1. He has the same or a very similar setup that Tim G. runs in his car.

I don't think that was ever finished. Last I heard, he was selling it...Stevezasycho was supposed to buy it but the funds never came. :(

Remember Gary, you own Tims old car.

lol... Tim supposedly fixed all the problems with it before he sold it. I guess he was wrong.

Nothing beats the scream of an LQ1 above 4000 RPM, I find the powerband a lot more fun than pushrod motors that run out of breath in the higher RPMS.

this will

Mvc-011s.jpg

leave the big boy outta this, the LQ1 cant touch teh duke

My 3.4 has been a blast, Pulls like hell and screams through the powerband. if your looking for easy, this is not the engine for you, but if your looking for fun, this is a great starting point

From what he always told me, he was selling it to get RID of all the problems.

Its a possibility, but i was told that since he already has a scion why the hell did he need the gp. It was just sitting for about four or five months. Plus he found a gay set of fourteens that he couldnt afford so he called me and said if you have the money the cars yours.

Tim G on this board (doesn't post much anymore) has a 96-99 Monte with a T3 or TE04 turbo on a 3.4. When we saw him dyno in Colorado 2 years ago it put down 320 HP & about 320 Ft lbs of torque.

Paul, am I right on those numbers? I want to say thats what it put down.

http://www.60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=31434

its a T04E

shanes: http://www.60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=37217

I've always like the LQ1....I have owned three of them :shrug:

then, why do you keep gettting rid of them? :lol:

The first two I owned quite a while ago. I have my '92 Euro3.4 way back in '94 and I had my '96GTP in '99. I got rid of both of them with 35k and 50k respectively, and I got rid of the Monte at 177k to pick up the Mustang with 66k original miles. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pickup another one though.

The first two I owned quite a while ago. I have my '92 Euro3.4 way back in '94 and I had my '96GTP in '99. I got rid of both of them with 35k and 50k respectively, and I got rid of the Monte at 177k to pick up the Mustang with 66k original miles. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pickup another one though.

im just messin. cant say i completely blame you for getting that mustang :mrgreen:

You got rid of the Euro and GTP with less than 50k on them?

Its a possibility, but i was told that since he already has a scion why the hell did he need the gp. It was just sitting for about four or five months. Plus he found a gay set of fourteens that he couldnt afford so he called me and said if you have the money the cars yours.

dude !!! they're 15's ! :lol2:

dude !!! they're 15's ! :lol2:

:lol: im hating my LQ1 right now and noone will help me out 'cept ken :cry: