wheel bearing impala 2002

iceturbo

Hi! I bught this ca 3 month ago. I did almost 12000KM with out any problem but a month ago I started to feel a special vibration when the car is deported on one side or an other. I know that these car are highly reliable except for wheel bearing. Resently the I've felt that vibration there is a bump on the road or then I'm braking Plus the ABS now activate often for no reason and the light often turn on plus yesterday the light for a flat tire turn on but all 4 tire were perfect.

Can it be the wheel bearing (or what ever part in the hub)??? How am I suppose to know that a wheel bearing is finish??? Am I gonna feel it by turning the wheel with my hand???

I've called many places and a hub is 250$ but I have to find one in 2nd quality for 150$. Is this 2nd quality still good and it would and it would last 1 or 2 years or it hands will propably broke on me in 6 month??? What make this second quality less expensive??? And I am not a kid which beats is car, I pays super attention at the road I do not roll too quickly in the place or if the road is fucked or on side walk. And what do you think of the parts on the internet little as on summit racing:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WBI2D513187&N=700+4294908216+4294908184+4294924642+4294925134+115&autoview=sku It doesn't look expensive!!!

Thank you

And do you know were I could download the FSM for free???

Ok, yes, the symptom of a bad wheel bearing is the ABS lights.

You can test by setting your ebrake and putting blocks behind your rear tires, jack the car up, put it in Neutral, and free spin the front wheels. You should be able to tell which has the bad wheel bearing. You can also grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and try to rock back and forth, and do the same at 6 and 12 (o clock, like if you were looking at a watch). An unusual amount of play like this is supposed to point you towards a faulty wheel bearing as well.

I can tell that your from Canada because of the KM. I know around here, they are about $100-$150. I, personally, have no problems going with the lesser one, especially if it comes with a year warranty. If you know it will break within one year, keep the receipt, and just take it back when it fails. But, in all reality, they take more abuse than 1 years worth driving for it to fail.

As far as replacing is concerned, very easy process:

Raise vehicle and support on jack stands.

Remove wheel and tire.

Use 36mm socket(or whatever your axle shaft nut happens to be) and remove axle shaft nut.

Remove the brake caliper, caliper mounting bracket, and rotor.

Disconnect the ABS sensor and unclip the connector from the shield.

Remove the 3 wheel bearing/hub assembly bolts, and pull out the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Installation is just reverse.

Now, this is extra steps that I add, because getting the wheel bearing to hub bolts out with the CV Joint still in place may be a bit difficult.

After you disconnect the sensor:

Remove two strut to knuckle bolts (the big ones holding the strut assembly there, forget the exact size).

Undo tie-rod retainer bolt, pop tie-rod out and swing out of way(do not twist off, just swing out of the way.

Let the spindle drop back towards you a little bit. This should give you MUCH more access to the hub bolts than before.

Hé, thanx for the reply!!! It's true I'm from Canada, that's why my english suck that mutch!!! For the price here, it's 250-280$ each for the good one and 150$ for the cheap one, and the aren't 1 year warenty but 3 weeks!!! Do you think that the one sold on summit racing is a good quality one??? Cause if yes, it would be a lot cheaper for me to order those then buying one around here!!!

And do you know were I could download the FSM of the impala and for the police one would be better!!!

Thanx!!!

Summit Racing will probably be pretty overpriced. Have you tried http://www.rockauto.com?

For the price of the wheel hub it's the same price on summit or rock. But rock can give me a price with the chipping and tax to my door in canada!!! Do you think one is better then an other one or I just take the less expensive???

Thanx!!!

Skim on a wheel bearing on a vehicle like that, and you will be replacing it in no time... Trust me, I sell parts for a living.. I can't count on my fingers or my toes how many new hub assemblies I have sold for such cars as Impalas, GPs, Aleros, GAs and the like in the past 6 months.....

TIMKEN.... The only brand name you need to consider..

Also take into account, the more common it is, the more it is sold, therefore it is cheaper in price...

true, but more common doesnt mean its good. ie: fram oil filters

Nono, I meant as in more common that the part fails...