burning oil

manualturbo

hey guys,

lately my tgp has been smoking out the tail pipes. at first i thought it was antifreeze which lead me to beleive that the car had blown a head gasket. but i noticed i wasnt losing antifreeze and the smoke smelled a lot like oil. heres the conditions when it smokes 1) car had been warmed up and is running at operating temperature. 2) the car is idling and oil pressure is below 35psi. 3) usually i am stopped for more than 15 seconds(like at a stoplight) now my first thought would be the oil return line so i went ahead and replaced it but it did not cure the problem. so is there any way to inspect the turbo to see if the seals are bad? ive checked for shaft play but it seems minimal. i dont know im stumped.

thanks guys,

mitch

If the turbo is fairly easy to remove, I would take it off and check for oil in the crossover, downpipe, and intake to the engine. Oil in the intake means a bad compressor seal, oil in the downpipe but not the crossover means a bad exhaust seal, and oil in the crossover is either from oil in the intake or engine damage.

sweet thanks man, yeah its easy i got it down pat, i can have it off in about 25-30 minutes. i will check it out tomorrow.

thanks again,

mitch