Weirdest front end noise - PROBLEM FOUND!

mgenin

Got a 95 Lumina 3100, If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, cause I have run out of them! :willynilly:

Lately, I have been hearing and feeling a grinding sensation in a pulse pattern (obviously per revolution of the wheel) This occurs when going over 50 km/h, and is worse when making right hand curves (like on highway ramps) and while braking or accelerating. It is nearly gone while making left hand turns, and better at highway speeds

So.. I replaced both my front wheel bearings, and both front CV joints. But the problem remains, and is infact getting worse as the weeks go on....

Has anybody had a similar problem? If so PLEASE let me know what you did to fix it! The only other thing I am going to try is rotating the tires around and see if the problem moves with.

Mike

Yeah, if it's not the wheel bearing or the CV joint, I would rotate the tires.

I'm sure you've visually inspected the entire front right knuckle, nothing seems out of place? Any problems with your brakes?

I've lightly applied my disc grinder to the rotors, to remove rust etc...

The brakes look ok, and I doubt its them since its getting worse, and worse, and does not seem like a warped rotor. Its not much stronger while applying the brake, its worse after braking (ie accelerating). I dont think its a ball joint, as it occurs in a pulse pattern.

I will also check the rear bearings, but it seems to be coming from the front. But i think i replaced just about every rotating object in the front!

What about the bearings in the tranny,? where the CV joints slide into. There is a bit of play there between the tranny and CV joint when i grab it and shake, but seems consistent on both sides.

When I jack up the front two wheels, there is no play in them when i do a shakedown. They rotate normally, and no noise is heard. I also put my jackstands under the control arms and ran the car with the front wheels in the air, and also no noise.

Hmm... might be noise from the tranny then. With it on the ground, you are getting friction plus the weight on the car on it.

It's gonna be hard to pinpoint. Could be an output bearing. In fact, this is very similar symptom wise to one of my buddies vehicles.

I rotated one side of tires, and the problem is almost gone. Therefore I think it is a tire balance or rim issue which became less noticeible when moved to the back. I will take my car in for a balance. Hopefully I wont have to buy a new set of tires. :twisted:

Im going to recomend you check the REAR wheel bearings. I had one going out on the TGP, and I swore it was in the front Turned out it was in the back. Other than that, maybe a upper strut bearing plate?

• 2 weeks later...

So I found the problem.

I took the car in for a balance, and one of the rear wheels was out of balance by 1+1/4 oz, So I had that wheel done. After that, I still got a vibration while going over 60 mph. I took it back, and the mechanic drove the car, and checked the front wheel, which was also out of balance. While spinning the wheel, we noticed that the treads were wobbling, which means that one of the belts inside the tire has shifted. So I'm out to find a set of tires now....

Hit up your local JY. I just picked up a temporary replacement (but VERY good condition and 80% tread life) Kuhmo tire for $25.

If your planning on doing all 4, i'd hit up some tire shops to see what type of deals they are willing to make. If you can buy your own and take them into them to mount and balance, http://www.tirerack.com.

I've been phoning local tire shops and they have nothing, most of them say people run their tires bald these days. I'm trying the wreckers, but its hard to find a set of 4. Some of them even have waiting lists for my size! I'd buy new ones, but I store the car for 8 months at a time while I'm at school. I may end up getting new ones, and leaving the car on jack stands for storage.

Yeah..... So, I put on a set of Yokohama V4S's and couldn't be happier. Very nice tire. My old Toyo 800 Ultra's were replaced since two of them had shifted belts :confused: things are good for now....