volfenhag subs & speakers

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

does anyone kno how well the volfenhag subs pound? there arent many reviews on it and the one helpfull review i read, the guy only installed one, but he did say that 1 sounded good. i plan on installing three in my vert replacing my JVC Warren G's. I also plan on replacing my rear 4x6s with there 6x9's. Ive heard just about every speaker out there except these.

i tend to disagree when it comes to quality over quanity, I do spl competitions in my blazer, i started out with 2 12" audiobahn immortals, sounded good and hit 97db, i then moved to 4 JVC warren G's they hit 112db last time i ran them, i sold them and baught 6 12" american bass VFL's. they pegged my hand held db meter and it maxes at 130db. I havnt done a comp with the VFLs but i do kno that when it comes to db drag quanity is better than quLITY. In my cutlass the 3 jvc's were not enough because my mids and highs completely drown out the bass even with the amp and x-over gains set low. so long story short; I need more bass. either 3 12's or 2 bad ass 15's if they'll fit in my vert. Im thinkin bout doin kicker comp vr's as my 2nd choice. My bro had them in his cadillac, 12" with a punk ass 400 watt mono mtx amp and they hit almost as hard as my 10" jl w3's

130 db is about as loud as most street cars. And those hand held meters are very very inaccurate. You should really go by an audio shop and have it metered.

I had my 1, just 1, 12" JL W6V2 in the 142 range, with TONS more to go. The alternator and the battery couldn't handle much more, so I shut it down.

Really, I can get the cheap walmart sub to get to 140, but it's the box that matters. I've seen just 1 single 10 do 150+.

the box is the key. JL is the truth, my 10w3's were by far the loudest 10s i ever heard. three 2.25 cube slot port dual chamber boxes is what im usin for my vfl's. but im only usin 2000 watts per 2 12"s, 10 farad power acoustik cap and i dont turn the gain past a quarter of the way. Ive heard 1 jl 12w7 and it hit nice but i cant afford the $500 price tag. 142 db is hard for 1 speaker. i never buy any audio equipment from walmart

Like I said man, the box made the difference. And, being in person for that walmart brand sub, it had AMAZING sq as well.

IMO, JL is overrated. After owning one, I won't spend the money on them again. I can do much better for far less.

Stay far away from volfenhag! Flea market trash. CVRs would be a MUCH better bet. I had 1 15" in my lumina and it pounded. You can usually find them pretty cheap online to.

For the price, CVR's will sound pretty well. Just be forwarned, Kicker speakers and subwoofers do not take well to being any sort of unclean signal. I have seen them blow very easily.

How is JL not worth the money?

I have ran a 13 w-7 since 2002 and it still hits lower than anything else on the market.

I will pay the extra $300 to get it rebuilt if it ever wears out. which there is no sign of that happening.

gotta love 3 inches of reliable cone throw that only needs 1000 watts.

i tend to disagree when it comes to quality over quanity, I do spl competitions in my blazer, i started out with 2 12" audiobahn immortals, sounded good and hit 97db, i then moved to 4 JVC warren G's they hit 112db last time i ran them, i sold them and baught 6 12" american bass VFL's. they pegged my hand held db meter and it maxes at 130db. I havnt done a comp with the VFLs but i do kno that when it comes to db drag quanity is better than quLITY. In my cutlass the 3 jvc's were not enough because my mids and highs completely drown out the bass even with the amp and x-over gains set low. so long story short; I need more bass. either 3 12's or 2 bad ass 15's if they'll fit in my vert. Im thinkin bout doin kicker comp vr's as my 2nd choice. My bro had them in his cadillac, 12" with a punk ass 400 watt mono mtx amp and they hit almost as hard as my 10" jl w3's

Wow....so many things wrong there! :rolleyes: Nope not even going to bother.

Wow....so many things wrong there! :rolleyes: Nope not even going to bother.

Usually i would have a negative response to reply's like this but im actually interested in hearing your input on this matter so i can get the best sound out of my system. keep in mind that im going for SQ/SPL (SQL)

Ok, before I start let me say that I mean no disrespect or harbour any ill will in anything I say here. We all start somewhere. :)

Quality over Quantity......ALWAYS!!!

You need to re-evaluate your goals. Plain and simple with the space you have in the blazer you should be easily able to hit 145+ with a pair of those VFL's, they are a truely stout SPL subwoofer. But keep in mind they are not the best at SQ.

As far as the cutlass goes, I can recommend at least 6 drivers that would blow your mind in comparison to the CVR and wont cost much more. Aim for a pair of ported 12's. You just cant propperly do a pair of 15's in the cuttys......I've tried.

As far as the cutlass goes, I can recommend at least 6 drivers that would blow your mind in comparison to the CVR and wont cost much more. Aim for a pair of ported 12's. You just cant propperly do a pair of 15's in the cuttys......I've tried.

Ive actually thaught about that, thers jus not enough air-space in the trunk of a vert cutty, and this might be the reason why the 3 12's dont really hit in the cutlass. As far as the blazer goes, it should "THEORETICLY" hit in upwards of 160db ive just never had the guts to turn it up with the 6 VFLs, and im well aware of the fact that they are not too good for SQ but when u can get speakers like these for around 50% off list price then why not. The VFL 12's would be great in my cutlass tho with a nice 2.5 cube slot-port. what are some of your suggestions in subs. keep in mind im running eminence mid range speakers (four 6.5" LA6-CBMR's) and two 100w horn tweeters. thats also the setup in the blazer but im running six eminences

in the truck im only running 3 american bass VFL-150.1 monoblock class-d amps, I think they are 1500-2000watts a piece but im not too sure what their actual output is, 10 farad cap. all subs are ran at 4ohm. for the mid range in my blazer ive got an american bass SQ-880 800watt 2chan running the 6 eminence speakers in parallel. the horn tweeters i have running off of an american bass SQ-280.

in the cutty, all i got goin to my three 12's is a Crunch 1600 watt monoblock class-d (this amp was given to me) and to the mid ranges i have a kenwood 800 watt (first amp i ever owned, baught it when i was 16) the tweetwers i got ran off of the front output of the head unit. no cap at all. everything in that car except for the eminences is actually for sale so i can upgrade to a better system in it

Are you planing on rebuilding both the blazer and the cutty?

Why not consider transfering one of the VFL amps to the cutty?

My first thought when you mentioned SQL was the TC Sounds TC-9. They are SQL machines and can handle 1000rms easily. And are under $160 each shipped. The motor on these has been around for years and is top notch quality.

http://www.tcsounds.com/tc9.htm

And depending on when you want to start the rebuild, I know Ascendant Audio is coming out with their new lines soon and alot of people a chomping at the bit for it. They are now having their drivers built by FI Audio.

Now what ultimately is you goal as far as a budget?

IMO, JL is overrated. After owning one, I won't spend the money on them again. I can do much better for far less.

I've had really good luck with JL subs, indeed there are better and much cheaper, but that's all I've bought since high school. Then again I've only bought them used, so I personally can't say their overpriced :lol:...I paid $300 for 2 Powerwedge enclosures, for a total of 5 12" W0 subs, back in like 2001.

at max about $300-400 on the subs. everything else i ccan get my hands on for cheap through american bass but they just dont make good subs, there amps are good and they have a store here in cleveland since their warehouse is right down the street, but there store sells everything for low prices, good quallity brand new equipment for about 20% off of MSRP and out audio team is unofficially sponsered by them we get about an extra 30% off, so i can get my hands on ALMOST anything. Im probably not gonna rebuild the system in the blazer anytime soon tho

3-400 is definetlly doable. But there isnt the same selection as there is in the 5-600 range.

So the TC-9's are an option. As well you might also want to look at eD. I can vouch for how loud a single ported 15 + 1000rms gets, my rear window is coming out. And jay(19cutlass94) has a pair of 12's and I think he hit over 140db with them.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35

The down fall of a single 15 in the cuttys is you require a driver that needs a fairly small box. Most 15's require 3 cubic feet and up where as the eD 16Ov.2 likes 2.3 cubic feet ported(after displacements)

Another option is the FI Audio SSD. It is there entry level driver but has been getting good reviews as well.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1546793b207256c/shopdata/0030_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

Hmm...I've got two 12" MTX 5500's in a ported MTX Sledgehammer box that they came in. Not sure how loud they are, but I'd love to get someone's opinion on what they think of them (if anyone heard them yet) in comparison to other subs. They're supposed to be 300W RMS each, and I have them on a 1600W hifonics amp (1100W @ 2 ohms).

Hmm...I've got two 12" MTX 5500's in a ported MTX Sledgehammer box that they came in. Not sure how loud they are, but I'd love to get someone's opinion on what they think of them (if anyone heard them yet) in comparison to other subs. They're supposed to be 300W RMS each, and I have them on a 1600W hifonics amp (1100W @ 2 ohms).

Never been a fan of MTX. But I have never tried their top line drivers. As far as Hifonics goes, they are good entry level amps, but I would be shocked if they actually did their rated power.

my cuzin has two of there 15" jack hammers (9500's) those are their flagship speakers i a can say i have never heard bass like that in a street car in my life