*EDIT* Extra wires on olds for BI-wired rears?

w-bodys_are_the_best

Hey, I am trying to find out what to hook the extra wires to for the 8895 harness that all the W's have. I am doing an install on my brother's g/f's Mint 90 olds 88. It has the same harness as the W's all have, but this one has the premim sound with the extra 4th plug that is normally not used. My 94 CS had this same extra plug, and I know it was used for the seperately wired tweeters on the rear 6x9's (each 6x9 had 4 wires running to it). I never hooked it to anything because I put in infinity's that had their own external crossover, and thus used just the regular set of +- on each side. I am not going to change the speakers, it was an old lady's car and the original ones are practically brand new and pound. I know before I put my infinity's in my 94 CS it was all muffled without the tweets hooked up and I don't want their car like this. Does anyone know which ones are which.

Please reply asap if you can help, thanks.

*EDIT* There were 3 wires, 2 green and one purple/white stripe. The cd player was junk, she's getting a new one, and I'm installing it in the next couple of days. If anyone knows what those wires are for, let me know, thanks.

The factory speakers are dual voice coil and completely different ohm load than your aftermarkets. Your not going to be able to use the current factory wiring with aftermarket speakers. If she is just wanting to replace the blown factory speakers, then I suggest hitting up ebay and picking up some OEM style DVC speakers.

BTW, don't leave those aftermarkets hooked up too long, they WILL blow.

Actually it's just the opposite, it was an old lady's car, so the speakers are all mint, and I'm trying to hook up the factory DVC style speakers to an aftermarket CD player. I know when I hooked up my Kenwood cd player in my Cutlass with the stock DVC type speakers, the woofer part worked, but the tweeters were those extra wires, and were not hooked up. It sounded like shit, cause it was just bass. I never worried about it because like I said I replaced the OEM speakers with Infinity's. My brother's gf got this Olds 88 and it was maintained very well. I'm just trying to put a cd player in there for her, and she does not want to replace the factory speakers because they sound great. I was thinking about jumping the regular wires and hooking up to the other set, but I'm just worried about resistance, I don't want to burn up her cd player's amp.

in the cutlass DVC system, the tweeters fed directly from the radio's rear channels. It's the same feed that a CS without tweeters uses.

the bass part of the tweeters is fed from the external amp.

the amp is is fed from wires that tap into the regualr audio channels.

if you choose to power up the amp, you can still use the DVC speakers.