unique motor?

RobertISaar

in the vrooooooooooooooom thread started by justin, blackbird21 said that a 2.8 could hit 9000RPM. i think thats way over the top for an OHV motor but i dont know much about 60* motors, so is it possible?

if it is what would happen if i took the crank from a 2.8, stuffed it and the longest rods i could find in the block of a 3400 OHV using aluminum heads from a 3100? kind of the same idea of a chevy 302: monster pistons, miniature stroke. i dont know if i understand this right but do longer rods help your engine live at higher revs?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• 19Cutlass94

• 97loudcut

• Brian P

dont suppose anyone has ran these on a dyno? seems like the relatively small bore and valves wouldnt flow enough air to make it worth it.

its the short stroke of the 2.8 that would allow it to rev higher.

the 3.1 has a long stroke with short rods.

actually the rods are the same. It's the pistons that are different.

its the short stroke of the 2.8 that would allow it to rev higher.

the 3.1 has a long stroke with short rods.

actually the rods are the same. It's the pistons that are different.

+ crank.

stock 3.1 redline is like 5500 lol. something around there.

i just thought of this:

i know this is a problem when dealing small block chevys but i dont know about 60* V6, but are the journals the same sizes on the crank, both of the ends on the rods and the pistons?

I think the journals are a little narrower on 660*, people have used 350 rods I believe but needed to have the crank end shaved down just a tad. I would also check 60degreev6.com, a lot more guys do performance builds over there than here. They know their stuff.

or did you mean between a 2.8 and a 3.1?

I think swapping the crank is all you'd really need to do, then pistons if you wanted. the rods should interchange.

or did you mean between a 2.8 and a 3.1?

I think swapping the crank is all you'd really need to do, then pistons if you wanted. the rods should interchange.

basiclly 3400 block and pistons, 2.8 crank and the longest rods i can fit and not smash valves

do all 60* V6s have forged crank and rods or is it just the 3100?

why would you put a crank that is effectively destrokeing the engine in? you would go from like 3.4L to what 3.2? 3.3?

so it can rev higher? lets say you built a valvetrain to support 9000rpm, what are that odds that you would actually make any power up that high?

as long as i could get the intake, heads and exhaust to flow enough air, why not? i've seen kawasaki ninja 250s turn 14,000 RPM. yeah i know its only 250cc.

still, a prepped 302 stands up to 8000RPM and it makes power all the way to its redline. hell, the LS7 has a redline of 7,000 but in testing it stood up to 8,000 with no problem but i didnt make any more power after, i think, 6,300. which means as long as i can open up a manifold far enough, port the heads enough, get the valves wide enough, fabricate some decent headers, get a long enough duration cam, use solid rollers, and have the ability to computer tune, i'm gold.

that and if i did it with a larger displacement motor it would be even harder to flow enough air to turn 9000.

id have to eventually dyno it to tell how well i would be doing.

why not?

I think the real question is "why?!"

What is it with this 2.8 bullshit all of a sudden? There's a reason why GM dropped it. It would take THOUSANDS of dollars to do all the work you want to. If someone put that same amount of money into say, an L67, you wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell. WHY bother with this motor? It's old, it's gutless and that's all it'll ever be natually aspirated. Let it die.

[me=Captain Danger Awesome]puts on flame suit.[/me]

who said anything about naturally aspirated??? a turbo for each manifold.

that and its something different. do you know anyone else whos done this? and yeah i know, its a money pit. if i wanted something cheap and somewhat fast i'd get a carbed 350 from summit for about 2,300 complete and stuff it in a $200 car.

i'm working with what i've got without turning to foreign cars to make a sleeper.

with this being a 60* motor i could stuff it into anything i wanted without having to worry about clearence, unlike any other performance motor... minus the LQ1... dont know about the 3.5

i mean lets say you went as far to get huge injectors, spent so much on 2 turbos, had some heavy duty valvetrain, and somehow got a set of intakes and heads that could all support it, you might be able to rev to 9k, but that would be the end of it. i don't get the obsession of being able to say "i can rev to 9,000" how about making power? a 2.8 is gutless, there is a reason it was dropped in favor of the 3.1.

just buy a 3400, get a decent set of injectors, and a decent tune to start with, and you will be light years ahead of a 2.8. and should put you well under $2300