best way to drain a gas tank?

White93z34

the fuel in my euro 3.4 is a little more then straight turpentine right now, the car refuses to run on it. and it is a full tank of it to make things even better.

so what are the best ways to remove all the fuel from this beast?

disconnect a fuel line, connect line to tube that empties into a bucket or 5, then use the test connector under the hood to run the fuel pump until it's drained.

use a punch and a chisel. punch hole in bottom of tank. then allow gas to drain on ground near well water supply.

go inside and get a drink of water, then go outside and weld a patch over the hole in tank.

j/k obviously, and my real advice would depend on how long the gas was in the tank, and how much was in there. You may want to consider dropping the tank entirely and having it cleaned and reman'ed by a radiator service place, but if its less than 1 yr old I wouldn't worry about it.

yeah so either run that pump from up front with someone controlling the drain hose to the containers, or just drop it and drain it the old fashioned get your hands all gassy smelling way.

do you know how those quick connect things work?

lol I'm so glad I don't have a '93+

yea like Matt said I think you can just squeeze and it pops out. Does the whole fuel system use these? like at the filter too?

I find that forcing the lines I want to disconnect towards each other, and them pinching the quick disconnect's release tabs together works great everytime.

disconnect it from the fuel filter and run the pump using the jumper wires but the aux battery terminal

disconnect a fuel line, connect line to tube that empties into a bucket or 5, then use the test connector under the hood to run the fuel pump until it's drained.

x2 i had to do that to my saturn it works with no problems besides its a PITA. :willynilly:

use a punch and a chisel. punch hole in bottom of tank. then allow gas to drain on ground near well water supply.

go inside and get a drink of water, then go outside and weld a patch over the hole in tank.

j/k obviously, and my real advice would depend on how long the gas was in the tank, and how much was in there. You may want to consider dropping the tank entirely and having it cleaned and reman'ed by a radiator service place, but if its less than 1 yr old I wouldn't worry about it.

yeah so either run that pump from up front with someone controlling the drain hose to the containers, or just drop it and drain it the old fashioned get your hands all gassy smelling way.

lol for a minute i was thinking is he serious lol

plasma would work great too. I suggest that you wear safety goggles though guys.

Seriously, we don't want anyone getting hurt. You only have two eyes.

Any updates on this tank? BTW when I said less than a year old in my first post I should have been more specific, I meant the gas, not the tank.

Run to the store, and get a new fuel filter. Take off the old fuel filter, and power the jumper to the fuel pump. Sit down and drunk a beer a 2. Watch it thou, you dont want it to run to long dry, will burn it up. Install new fuel filter. Pour in a 1/2 gallon of fresh gas. Go under the hood, and pull the schrader valve out of the test port. Take a large vacume line that fits snuggly over the port, and do the same thing with the fuel pump. Put schrader valve in, and put some gas in the tank and see what you get.

damn....... i wish i woulda thought of this when i replaced the pump on my Z34 years ago.......i had a full tank, and i took it out the hard way! putting it back was much worse though. fuck it was heavy, holding it up with my knees. haha. /end hijack.