I am back with Convertible

NORBI

Hey all

As some of you may still remember me after long time i was gone. Some of you may even remember that last year i bought a 1993 black Oldsmobile Convertible with bad engine from EBAY. Well today it was its 1st day on the street and it runs great, just like my 1994 Convertible i used to have. Thats all for the good news the bad news is my 1988 CS has been involved in accident and with 208k miles insurance totaled it but i am keeping it and still getting 1200 $ for it to fix it so will have 2 CSs running.

Question. In my convertible i have power locks that lock when i put it in gear but when i shut down the car and put it in parking they dont open, is there a way to disable locking in gear function.

I'm sure there is a way to disable it but I haven't studied it yet. my 93 is the same, though I don't know whether non verts were the same or not.

welcome back!

it locks when you put it in gear, and unlocks when you shut it back off. weird, but its fun to watch my friends try to open the door, realize its locked, and then reach for the lever (not the switch mind you) and so I shut it off as theyre about to flip it up :lol:

it locks when you put it in gear, and unlocks when you shut it back off. weird, but its fun to watch my friends try to open the door, realize its locked, and then reach for the lever (not the switch mind you) and so I shut it off as theyre about to flip it up :lol:

93 locks only,

94+ locks and unlocks.

but yeah, it's fun to watch people fumble to try to exit. the car wants them!

I didnt know that it only locks you in. My old 94 locked and unlocked but looks like there are more differences between 93 and 94 besides airbags

Yea. You can get an aftermarket remote keyless entry system for around $100 (even way less than that on eBay) that you can setup to lock when you start it and unlock when you shut it off. They are actually pretty simple to install when you have power locks. Not to mention, you can toss that old GM remote box that sucks so bad and the key fobs are bulky on those as well. I think on ebay you can even pick up a pretty good one for around 30 or 40.

on the passenger side of the dashboard under it, find the chime module, there is a small 2-3 wire harness that comes off it, unplug it. and no more auto locks.

Yeah, the lock only on the 93's is really annoying. I put an alarm in the Z that I programmed to unlock the doors when the car is shut off as stated above.

Thanks guys i will try to disable that or look into the remotes. It really gets annoying that i have to open door every time i need to get out, too bad that it doesnt have programming features as my Aurora does.