ALPINE CDA-7998 (A little older, but I LIKE how it looks)

Dirty Rockstar

I'm mainly looking for some information if anyone has experience with this deck.. I want a Biolite alpine, but this one has that "larger than ISO din" face size when folded out.. It would look incredible in my Lumina's dash, especially with the way I plan to mount it..

..One BIG concern I have is iPod integration.. I am going to email Alpine about this, but I might as well send an email to the Chimpanzee department at the Minnesota ZOo for answers about that..

THanks for any info you all can give me on this.. The face is not detachable, but I wont be leaving the car outside overnight, plus it will have an alarm installed in it as well.. (I don't intentionally plan to go to the mall and take the car, nor to work.. Just to cruise around in you know?)

Here's a pic installed in something with a din 1.5 or 2 opening:

4fe9_1.JPG

After I hit submit, I am going to email Alpine about iPod integration.. THat could very well be the deal breaker for me..

EDIT: Alpine doesn't have an email support link. Touche.

I know he unit has AiNet, and that's how the KCA-420i attaches.. But I'm worried about it working like a POS. The BioLite makes iPod useage so possible through the deck.. I HAVE a Harmon Kardon Drive+Play here, and I COULD use that.. Anyone use the KCA 420i before?

is that pic a 1.5 or a 2 din opening??? Either way I do like the fact that the face is larger then single din....should make it look decent in the 1.5 opening. I am not sure how old that deck is, but IMHO Alpine's quality went way down hill quite a few years ago.

Ive seen threads with people installing them as early as 02.. But I agree.. BY the CDA-9855 series, I was dis satisfied.. Motors going out, etc..

I may wind up going for one, and hope the KCA-420i works well enough.. otherwise I have that drive+play.. And the pic looks to be 1.5 din

ipod integration in anything other than the newest pioneers and alpines sucks!!! Any decks that require a seperate ipod adapter all seem to have the same problem. They are SLOOOOWWWW. Sound quality is good, and you'll be able to see the song info on your deck, which is cool, but chances are you're gonna have the same problem I have with my pioneer. That is that it takes 10 minutes to scroll through all your artists, and depending on how many albums you have under each artist, even longer to scroll to the song you want. If you really want ipod integration, without using your harmonkardon thing, you should get an '07 alpine or pioneer with the direct ipod attachment (a dedicated ipod wire coming out the back, without a seperate conrol box). Those are the only "real time" ipod decks.

I know about the speed thing, and the fact the newer Alpines have a dedicated cable, however Alpine isn't offering a deck in this size face anymore.. I dont MIND using the drive+play, as I will modify the piss out of it to integrate it, if I do use it..

..If I DO buy a 7998, I'll get the KCA 420i from work (BBY) and try it out for 30 days (Return period).. If I still don't like it by then, I'll return it and go for an alternate mounting option..

Well, the more and more I look, the more and more I want the 7998. I am probably going to be using the Drive+Play as I have it, and I THINK it already has the white back lighting.. (SO as to match the 7998's white BioLite display.) I contacted Harman-Kardon about getting a spare control dial so I can try taking one apart.. I.. Have.. A.. Plan.. (Yikes!) <<Tommy Boy FTW!

I am just going to roll my pennies for my 7998. I also need to save up for my 6 speed shifter and cables. Also still need to find my dash and engine harnesses.. I am thinking of how to integrate the Drive+Play into a 97 GP console.. I need to get one so I can work on some Fiberglassing options..

is that the one with the integrated cell phone thing? if so, god i hate that deck.

it came out in 02, iirc. put one in my roommate's car when i was working at the audio shop in morgantown, and he was back every mother freaking day with some kind of problem. i think the cd mechanism failed like 2 months after i sold it to him.

it looked pretty good in the big ass olds head unit opening, but that's about it. i think i finally ended up selling him a blaujunkt mp3 unit.