Tires fell apart (Updated with Pics)

Q-Ball

Well on a beautiful day here the girl and I decided to go home from Windsor back to London. 2 hour drive. Done it many times. Except this time was a little bit different. About an hour after driving on the highway we hear a thump and the car shaking like mad. So I pull over and think my lugs are loose on the front tire. No, they are all there and they are tight. A closer look at my wheel and I saw that part of the tred has either fallen off or wore right out. Its dark now, but I'll take a few pics bright and early tomorrow morning.

After driving nice a slowly for about 2 minutes I was surprised to see a cop come behind me. I got out and walked back to him and he was already running my plates. After they came back clean he helped me out nicely. I told him about my tires and he told me to take the next exit to a truck stop. So I drove nice and slowly to Ridgetown. The cop followed me to make sure I got there safe. I get there and ask they guy if they can help me. They have a huge garage fixing Semi's and regular cars. But he mainly worked on trucks and couldnt help me. All he could do was call to get me towed home. So after waiting 30 min for the tow truck to come we got my car on the flat bed and road up front. Got home about 45 min late. Good thing we actually left early. And about $250 CAD more on my credit card. Atleast these were my winter tires I got for free when I got the car, but still thats my 3rd bad piece of luck I've had with the car. First the brakes, than not starting and now this. Funny thing was, I said today I was going to put my summer x-laces on. But I think I will make sure to do some work first before another pair of tires end in the river... I mean garbage.

Oh, btw the tires are Hancooks. The truck stop actually was an Esso and a licensed dealer for Michelin and Hancook tires, but they didnt have any spares. I wasnt going to buy any cause I'm sure just as I would get home the tires would do the same thing.

Moral of the story. Get an alignment before its too late.

Just wondering why you didn't throw the spare on?? Or do you not have one?

i was thinking the same thing. that truck stop didnt even have a donut laying around you could use?

yeah, alignments are important!!!!

Sucks to hear about that though. Im sure once you get everything sorted out, youll stop having the troubles

Yeah, I'm really hoping this is the end of bads new for my car.

Oh, I went to get my spare but I realized that BOTH of my front tires went like this. So adding a spare would probably only let the other one blow out.

i was thinking the same thing. that truck stop didnt even have a donut laying around you could use?

Nope, they had tons of parts for trucks and some little parts for cars. They usually have to get stuff mailed in. They even had a sign up saying they cant be held responsible for cars that have been left for more 30 days. After reading that I wanted my car, me and my gf home asap. :lol:

All I have to say is Hankooks are good tires, and if you think it was all the tires your probably mistaken.

Oh they lasted me for 2 winters. They were all seasons. I'm getting the pics right now. I'm blamming my alignment not the tires.

If the alignment was that bad that it made the tires fall apart, i would really have to question how that car drove.

Its always pulled to the left, but nothing that ever let it go this bad.

Here they are:

This looks low just cause of rubber missing and how its sitting.

Drivers

HPIM1743.jpg

Passengers

HPIM1742.jpg

So, as you can see putting my spare on would only fix 1/2 the problem until it would wear out as well.

DAAAAMMMMNNNN!!!!!!!

Yeah, thats what I thought, actually a little bit more swearing though. The car was bouncing nicely at 115 KM/H. Needless to say, I'm glad I pulled over.

Umm, you are lucky you got pulled over, holy shit Jason! That would have been quite the ride if one or both of those tires blew out on you on the highway...

Umm, you are lucky you got pulled over, holy shit Jason! That would have been quite the ride if one or both of those tires blew out on you on the highway...and 115MPH?, or did you mean kilometers??

Haha, yeah I pulled over and the cop came in like 2 min. Yes, I meant KM. My dash is in MPH and I was going about 68-70 MPH. Hahah my bad. I'll fix that. The fastest I ever took my car was only 100 MPH. So that would of been a record for me. haha

Well the tires are off now. I was just gonna switch it with my X-Laces anyways. But I thought to myself, this would be the perfect time to finish everything. So all I need for the passenger side is a tie rod and a new boot on the inner tie rod. Driver side needs a bit more work. It still needs a bearing plate, inner tie rod, outer tie rod and a ball joint. I'm just having troubles getting the tie rods off!