I want to Paint my Wheels (check page 5 Done!)

ns87

I don't need advice on brand or technique. I really want to paint them white. I love white on red, but if people think its too ricey, then I'll just get a silver alloy wheel kit. heres a decent photoshop with the original. Fortunatly I can take my time with them since I have my stock wheels too

100_0793.jpg (original)

100_0793white.jpg (white)

100_0793gunmetal.jpg (is this even gunmetal)?

100_0793black.jpg (mmm blackish)

I thought I would hate dark wheels, but I have to admit this looks kinda gangster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ns87

• AWeb80

• J

• Psych0matt

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your white wheel photochop looks kickass!

boo on you! j/k

I think it would look ricey, and they would be a bitch to keep clean, and if they chip it will look as if they are dirty with tar all the time. It's only paint i guess, if you don't like it it can be changed.

I bought a teal cutty vert last fall with a white roof in poor shape. The previous owner had painted the 5 spoke factory wheels white, to match the roof I guess. I ordered a new black roof for the car and installed it, and using a small electric sander, and some hand snading, removed the white paint from the wheels.

I got some spray aluminum wheel paint that closely matched the factory finish, and resprayed them. They turned out really well and look good on the car.

I also bought a red 92 cutty vert last year that had the 10 slots. Bought a set of 5 spokes in rough shape in eBay and resprayed them as well, and they look awesome on the car.

IMHO those wheels look best at or near the factory color.

You see what i wrote you on the subject on ABody?

Hey Steve yeah I saw that. I totally feel you on the mirrors. Idk about the nightshades and trim and stuff. I'm really not that commited to my car I guess. I don't have another car to drive while I do mods, but I have another set of wheels to throw on my car while I paint 5 spokes.

I see everyone else really likes the darker wheels, and if my car was black, I guess I'd agree. I really can't see myself with a bright red car and dark wheels. :willynilly: You guys have no idea how long I've been staring at the pictures and agonizing (sp) over this. I haven't made a decision yet, but thank you for all the responses!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Well, talk is cheap but I finally shelled out some money and ordered this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenance/restoration/wheel+restoration+kit.do?search=basic&keyword=wheel+restoration&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

100_1388.jpg

It was a bit pricey and I'm sure there were cheaper options. Griot's stuff has never disappointed me, and I only plan on doing this once.

The instructions seem pretty adamant on having the wheels media blasted first. Anyone think there will be that much of a difference if I don't remove all the stock paint? I don't see why a roughed up surface with some original paint will have a problem holding primer.

Last but not least, wheel weights. The wheels are perfectly balanced right now with exterior weights (done 2 years ago). My plans right now are to tape around them (carefully). Should I expect that the wheels will need to be balanced anytime in the next 5 years?

Cool, thanks guys. It says minimum temperature of 70 degrees on the paint can, so I won't be doing this for a while :lol: :willynilly: Cross your fingers for warm weather!