HELP... Cutlass Digital Dash Swap, tach not working!?!?

nerfbars

I finally took the time to swap my base cluster digital dash for the deluxe gauge cluster dash. Things went alright, its a shame they couldnt give ya a little more wire to work with, I guess that would too much to ask. I havent swapped the switches for senders yet so the oil pressure and temp guages dont work right. Everything else works great except the tachometer. Do any of you know why it wouldnt be working? The instructions mentioned nothing about having to do anything special with the tach. Thanks for any input you may have!

the tach gets signal from the orange serial data wire at the diagnostic connector (bottom of drivers side dash) splice that wire to the location for "tach" or whatever, I forgot the pin location.

Sweet thanks! So you have actually done this and it works fine? I dont want to splice my harness if I dont have to. What did you use for a metal terminal in the plastic connector for the dash?

Guest TurboSedan

nerfbars, you need anymore help let me know! i have done this exact swap on my CS and i ran an orange wire from C13 on the instrument panel to the ALDL port on the diagnostic plug under the dash...it goes to the ALDL plug under the dash....the connector that is closest to the firewall/passenger side. i basically just stripped 1/8" off and stuffed the end of the wire into the right port on the ALDL and it works fine. very crude, i know, but at least you know what to do. i would be interested in what others have done for this connection.....

btw, i haven't got your brake parts shipped out to you quite yet, hopefully tomarrow, sorry :( i will let you know asap.

joshua

Thanks I appreciate the help!!! I am also very thankful for the brackets! What did you use for a connector on C13, did you just shove a wire in there too, or did you cut and splice one of those locking clips from another Cutlass?

Guest TurboSedan

you can just 'snap in' a connector at C13 on the panel. i snapped in an orange wire, then replaced the clips that lock the wires in place. actually i think i used an orange wire from the old cluster plug. then i used a Bernzomatic pen torch, solder, flux, and shrink wrap to splice another orange wire onto it and ran it down to the ALDL port. the wire is just sticking in the ALDL port. it hardly ever falls out, but someday i'll actually splice the wire in on the backside of the ALDL plug. good luck.

joshua