Front Struts/ Lowering the turbo lumina update:4-18

Nick1234

The white lumina is getting dropped this spring. i am buying new KYB struts and getting st lowering springs. What else do i need to buy or should i buy when installing front struts.

Also, where would be the best place to buy a birchmount spring.

Nick

depends on how much money you wanna spend as to what you should replace. When I get my springs put it, Ive got all new insulators, new lower spring seats with bearings etc etc. But really all you need is the struts and springs unless something is worn out/bad

yeah but how many poeple are going to take the time to look over there. They cant even read what we have on this site! Just look at the FAQ section. Theres alot of info in there that no one ever reads, but yet they still ask questions about...

Theres plently of info on making your own coilovers. You just gotta know where to look. and honestly Id rather spend the time and piece together a coilover kit than get a monoleaf.

• 2 weeks later...

K so. when ordering struts. I will just get the insert? Are these easy to install? I am a complete moron when it comes to suspension.

The front struts?! Or the rear coilovers your going to be putting together?!

Honestly, all you really need is the struts and the springs. Just have the tech inspect everything. Unless you have money you wanna spend, I wouldnt unless you need to.

So you can compare, they charged me $200 to install my Eibach Springs, KYB HD strut mount, and KYB GR-2 struts.

I'm still impressed that you found a shop to install parts that you brought them :D

So you can compare, they charged me $200 to install my Eibach Springs, KYB HD strut mount, and KYB GR-2 struts.

I'm still impressed that you found a shop to install parts that you brought them :D

Your serious? What shop wouldn't? FYI, (and I know this because I work at a shop), the money isn't made off the parts. Infact, we charge what we pay for the parts, MAYBE a little more, it's the labor that makes the money.

I know theres not many shops around here that will do it, unless it's a tuner shop, or a shop known for doing custom stuff.

A lot of garage's DO make money off of the parts. They get discounts at part stores, then turn around and sell the parts to you for inflated prices.

every shop makes money off parts. They pay X amount then they raise that price and charge labor to install. i know I sell the parts to the shops.

and yes finding a shop to install stuff that you didnt buy there is hard.

Its all up to the shop owner. Until I got my own shop, I worked for 8 years at other shop, mostly franchised. All shops get parts tax free, at a BIG discount, sometimes 50%. When I worked at Top Value, in an upper class neigborhood, the parts markup was 350%. Yes 350%. And some shop owners will not touch any part they didn't buy, some honestly don't care. But a lot of that depends on the pay scale of thier workers. A shop owner that pays his workers a percentage of total sales would be more likely to permit it than one that pays his workers hourly.