TGP Cluster Idea

RareGMFan

Thanks, i was really curious as to what was involved in fixing it, Once It warms up outside i'm gonna take a look at it, I don't understand a lot about resistance. So the more resistance added the faster or slower the speedo reads?

More resistance makes it read faster, less resistance makes it read slower.

When you add an additional resistor in parallel, it actually reduces the total resistance making it less so that it reads slower.

Thanks, i was really curious as to what was involved in fixing it, Once It warms up outside i'm gonna take a look at it, I don't understand a lot about resistance. So the more resistance added the faster or slower the speedo reads?

More resistance makes it read faster, less resistance makes it read slower.

When you add an additional resistor in parallel, it actually reduces the total resistance making it less so that it reads slower.

Alright Cool, Thanks

And it seems like the speedo's are never low, when they are off they always read too high.

Perfectly logical explanation for that, resistors when they age, can only increase in resistance, never decrease. So resistance goes up, speed goes up. It's likely it was designed that way for liability reasons.

• 7 months later...

Ever find a picture of which ceramic chip you soldered a resistor to. Which leg etc... My board has two of these ceramic chip/resistors. Anyone know if it's the center one of the outer one????

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 88 gpse with the same problem with the tach only. What I did was cut the tach wire in 2 then wired in a trim pot like shawn says in line with it (outer two legs of the pot) and the center pin to ground. This will wire in a resistor in parallel to the laser resistor. However my tach is still somewhat inaccuate as I have to constantly trim the tach depending on if I have the headlights on or not? Weird for some reason when the lights are on the tach reads high then I have to readjust it. I have the pot mounted on the column so I can trim on the fly but it still gets annoying sometimes! I think what I might do next is take the cluster out and wire the trim pot directly to the back of the cluster and see what the resistance is to get it to idle around 900 rpm (I have a 5 speed) then I'll wire in a permanent one. For now this seems to work. Oh and I think I used a 10 k Ohm trim pot if anyone cares.