Tire Comparison

1990lumina

Can I run 225/55R16 tires on my stock Lumina rims? Apparently the minimum rim width I can use is 6", which is what these Lumina wheels are (I think, either 6" or 6.5")..so the tire should look nice and beefy on them.

My stock size is 215/60R16...so according to the tire calculator on 1010tires.com my speedo will read 1.1km to fast...(like a 1% difference)...is this ok?

I'm more worried if the tires will fit on my stock Lumina 16" wheels. I ask this because my friend will sell me 4 Hankook performance tires (dunno what model or anything..haven't gone to look at them yet) for $100. They have 80% tread wear or more too, so that should give me a summer or two. I know it says i'm selling the car, but my Dad might be buying it..so I'm sure he'd appreciate some decent summer tires in the deal.

But it all depends on feedback whether they will fit or not, and if they will have the wrong circumference totally...

Thanks!

they will fit no problem jeff... it is just a matter if your speedo reading being wrong bothers you...

225 will fit on a 6" rim anyday.

might not be ideal but it will fit, just gonna have a teeny little more balloon to the sidewall

I can live with the speedo being off, I'm more worried about the brakes and such overheating since the tire will be spinning faster....but if it's only 1% difference it can't be "that" bad can it?

I think I'll pick them up thanks for the help Cameron!

absolutely not... the difference is so small it will not matter, think about it the tread will be less than a dimes width wider, and 5mm shorter. IIRC a wider tread makes for a taller sidewall so going up one size in tread width and down one in sidewall will essentially cancel each other out... or in this particular case throw you out by ~1%

buy 'em thats a good deal for some decent tires