TGP Cluster HELP!

Addicted To Boost

I need help- I just bought a gauge cluster from Kuntzie that has just been re-calibrated-that was out of a TSTE, so in his TSTE, the gauges all read correctly. When I put it into my TGP, the needles are WAY off. When I am really going 50 MPH, the TSTE gauge says I'm going 65, and my car shifts at WOT at 5,275 RPM's (verified by a scangauge), and the TSTE cluster says it shifts at 6,800 RPM.

Are TGP and TSTE clusters different? I have seen 2 differences between the two clusters: The TSTE cluster has a orange low fuel light circle that is 3x the size of the orange dot on my TGP cluster. On the TSTE cluster, all of the writing and numbers on the cluster, tach, and spedo is written in BOLD, slightly bigger writing than the TGP cluster.

Are these two clusters mechanically different? I have TRIPLE-checked everything, and I have it put together correctly, yet the TSTE cluster is still wayyyy off. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

as stated through PM;s every thing was accurate... i dont understand whats going on here.. i even verry well bubble wraped the cluster when shipped so i no that wasnt an issue

Does anybody know if there are MECHANICAL differences between TGP and TSTE clusters? This cluster works perfect in Jeff's TSTE, but is WAYYY off in my TGP. :confused: WHY??? Anybody know?

I have had clusters read inaccurate...but normally that means they are bad. Whatever on the cluster electronics gets wigged out and it reads high. There is no difference other than what you said between the two...they are completely interchangeable.

NO guys. :lol: I'll re-explain it. Jeff had this cluster re-calibrated, so it worked PERFECT in his TSTE- everything was right on. He took that cluster outta the TSTE and sent it to me. I put the TSTE cluster in MY TGP and the cluster reads WAY OFF. Speedo and tach are WAY OFF when the cluster is in my TGP, while if Jeff puts in in his TSTE, it works perfectly! WTF!! What is going on here? I checked my HUD twice with two GPS's and my HUD is right on. I checked my TGP with a scangauge and it shifts at 5,275 RPM's. On Jeff''s cluster, it says the car is shifting at 6,800 RPM's! And when I'm going 50 in my car, the cluster says I'm doing 65! Can anyone explain this? It works perfect in his TSTE, everything is right on, and in my TGP it is WAY off! HELP!!

I Remember Reading In My TGP Service Manual Once That the VSS pulses different on certain Models. (I.E. Se Vs. TGP vs. TSTE) I'll try to find the page to show/prove it to you guys I thought it was really weird too.

I Remember Reading In My TGP Service Manual Once That the VSS pulses different on certain Models. (I.E. Se Vs. TGP vs. TSTE) I'll try to find the page to show/prove it to you guys I thought it was really weird too.

Sweet- Let me know! :cool:

TGP/TSTE VSS Pulse divisor and Pulses per Mile are the same! Possibly different for the 14 or 15" wheel SE but not different between the TGP/TSTE.

Agreed. I just think the cluster is bad. The first cluster I had in my Grand Prix would immediately peg itself the moment I started rolling.

Well how could the cluster just go bad all of a sudden? He took it TSTE when it worked perfectly, sent it to me and I put it in my TGP and it is off. It could have gone bad in that short of a timeframe? From what???? That just doesn't make sense to me- there has to be a difference or something.

also - nicj was telling me with the key in the on position the cluster read ) MPH and the tach read 100 or 1000rpms i forget what he said now

edit heres a pic of the cluster in the tgp with the key off... there was only 100 miles or so put on it before i disassembled

DSCF0925.jpg

how dows it look in your car compared to this one at the off position

This is a picture of what the cluster looks like with the keys OFF.

MyTGP22.jpg

This is a picture of what the cluster looks like with the ignition on, but the engine is not running (hence all of the lights on)

MyTGP023.jpg

Not the same car but I had a similar problem with my old 89-SE.. I pulled the digital cluster out and swapped in a analog cluster from a early GTP. The speedo never worked right but would kick in some times. When my computer went bezerk I swapped a computer from a 88 SE into it and the speedo stop working altogether.

I've tried everything, swapping clusters back and forth numerous times and swapping parts of one cluster onto the other and vice versa, and still no luck. I am back to having my original cluster back in the car. Any other ideas? I'm OUT of ideas.

I looked over my service manual this weekend and it said that pulses per mile from the VSS will vary depending on options equipped, so it must've meant the rim/tire size basically, i guess i misunderstood it.

Yeah my original cluster is more accurate than that reman one :lol: . My orig. one reads about 61-62 MPH when I am going 55. The reman one is about 71MPH when I am going 55 lol.