95' Vert With Leak Issue...

Phantom GTZ

Hey everyone,

I have a 1995 red/black/black leather convertible Cutlass and I've been dealing with a leak issue on the driver's side for some time now.

Is this a common problem? Its coming from the corner where the A-Pillar meets the top and its driving me insane. There was seriously a puddle on my newly redone leather seats.

Is the only solution to replace all the seals, or have people had luck with any other routes?

Thanks,

-Joel

you could try lubing/greasing the seals to see if that might improve the problem

thats what you want to try first. Ive managed to stop most of my leaks around the windows, with the exception of on the passenger side where two pieces come together near the back. I'll always get a puddle behind the drivers seat

you could try lubing/greasing the seals to see if that might improve the problem

thats what you want to try first. Ive managed to stop most of my leaks around the windows, with the exception of on the passenger side where two pieces come together near the back. I'll always get a puddle behind the drivers seat

x2

USE DIELECTRIC GREASE! my cars have puddles all the time.

Wow that is a real heart breaker. The car sprung a leak about 6 monthes ago, and its gotten really bad really fast.

I might have a professional work on it...

Thanks alot of the tips though guys! I'll be trying that this weekend if I have time.

what u need to do is on the top where the latch is on the front.turn that little hook 1 full turn so that the top sits down tighter to the windshield frame.i had water always coming in and dripping on my legs and seat.after i did that,it stopped all together,.

what u need to do is on the top where the latch is on the front.turn that little hook 1 full turn so that the top sits down tighter to the windshield frame.i had water always coming in and dripping on my legs and seat.after i did that,it stopped all together,.

I never even thought of that. mine leaked after i ripped out some added foam weatherstrip, but I just got a roll from the hardware store and redid it all to fix it. I never even thought of that, which is the obvious!

• 3 weeks later...

mine leaks by the b-pillar where the two pieces of weather stripping comes together but it only leaks during a really really hard rain, in which most cases im not driving my cutlass im in my blazer, but any how Ive tried greasing them and it never works, just ends up making my windows all smeared up at the roof line so i think im gonna just replace the seals

• 2 weeks later...

I had leaks at the A-pillar like you're talking about. Tightening the header hook adjustment didn't help. The problem was that the weatherstrip had a little channel in it (from shrinkage? who knows) that was just deep enough not to seal. I levelled the seam between the weatherstip and the windshield frame AND the top surface of the weatherstrip with a thin film of silicone gasket-maker. Allowed it to dry before letting the roof contact it, of course. I haven't had the problem since.

What you could do is get the roof/header/seal area completely dry, then run water over the windshield/top seam until you get a little bit of a drip happening inside the car. Stop the water flow, let the majority of the water run off, then open the top a bit. It should be obvious where the water is getting past the seal. That's where you need to fill.

• 2 months later...

You people are a God send ! ! ! I can't believe all the solutions I've picked up today !

stick around, you'll never cease to be amazed at some of the things you'll learn :wink:

You people are a God send ! ! ! I can't believe all the solutions I've picked up today !

stick around, you'll never cease to be amazed at some of the things you'll learn :wink:

Yea, like what all these abbreviations mean. "FTW" "IMO" "IIRC" and the list goes on and on...

At least I found a way to translate all this. I just send it to my 14 year old niece and she sends me back what it means.

• 2 weeks later...

JC Whitney has every kind of weatherstripping available.

HEADER SEAL WEATHERSTRIPPING - For convertibles - seals area between windshield frame and top.

For stuff on our verts, you have to call them. The online thing isn't complete because this isn't one of the top 100 vehicles on the road as far as verts go, but they do have the stuff you need.

The only thing I have yet to find is the belt weatherstripping that goes along the rear window exterior. It is at the bottom of the window. I have seen this on a few of the GMs the first thing to go with this Texas heat.