Good brand and model of all-weather tires for a W-Body

jrbakke

Hey All,

I own a 94 Grand Prix SE, and I was wondering what would be everyone's ideas for a good brand and model of all-weather tires for w-bodies. The GP will be a daily driver in Northeast Oklahoma. Typical temporate seasons, not usually too much snow in winter.

If it make any difference for you suggestions, the tires will be on Factory 5 spokes on a B4U Body pakage. (Currently minus the front fender flares and with the lower front valence busted off, well atleast between the fog lights anyway. Of, they are also busted too)

Thanks All!!!!

I just put a set of Hankook Optimo H418s, 235/60x16, 60,000 mi, H rated, on my cutty. List at Discount Tire was $85/ea, I got them for $72; cheapest online with shipping was $73. Don't ever pay retail for tires, you'll just be getting had.

As for a budget, I would like to stay in the $500 range with install, but if they are good tires, I am willing to spend more, just not too much. There are a couple Discount/wholesale tire places over in Tulsa(about 30 miles away) that are usually comparable to tirerack and such if they have the tires in stock. I used to be able to get a set for my CSX that costed less than tirerack per tire when you add shipping. And their install rate was about standard for my area. The only problem will be if they even carry sizes and styles for our cars, they mostly catered to Hi Pro applications and hard to find sizes, like my CSX needed. (you don't know how hard it is to find a set of 205/70R15 around here. Almost makes me glad I don't have the contankerous beasty anymore.)

This thread is the battle of the cheap NOObs

and what is this all about? Are you just trying to insult everyone here, or trying to cut down membership of the site?

If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say it. If you are not going to offer a response to my question DON'T POST A REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can get the proper size, go for Yokohama Avid V4 S tires. I put a set on my Infiniti last Fall, and they are the best tires I've ever had on any FWD car. Got them for about $100 each from tire rack, plus $20 shipping

Fuzion HRI performance all season tire. $204 for 4 tires plus install which will be $10-15 per tire locally.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=HRi&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=26HR6HRI&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

If you want excellent performnace tires that are all season. These tire hands down. $456 for these tires plus shipping. Which is usally around $50 on tirerack. Plus install also. But this tire has excellent reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&partnum=26WR6RE960PP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=20

and what is this all about? Are you just trying to insult everyone here, or trying to cut down membership of the site?

If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say it. If you are not going to offer a response to my question DON'T POST A REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF you cant take a joke go away. j/k Thats what goes on here we give each other shit. Now calm down. k

As for tires i good like the fusions but my rims aint big enough for them i cant find any 195/70R14 but anyway i got Goodyears.

the yoko avids would be good.

and the tire size you need is 205/70 R 15, right?

I can check tonight, but my borhter got some type of yoko tires in or about the same size as you mention. i do not think they were avids though, but they are a great all-seaon tire. might be Aegis.

there are hella good for the cost. I think he's gone 40,000 miles with little sign of wear... and he WILL not check his tire presure... evar.

No on the tire size. I need 215/60R16's. it has the "premium" 5 spokes. I'm going to have to clean the crap out of them, probably strip and repolish them and get them recoated. The idiot who owned the car before me left it sit with break dust on them and the clear coat started to pit.

I'm thinking that I may try something "new" for coating them when I get around to getting them fixed. Strip the clear coat from them and polish them up nice, then get a transparent version of the body color applyed to them. It is an idea floating around in my head, although I do like the look they have now(well, cleaned up at least).

I always liked the Cooper Lifeliner Classic II on my Lumina..though I'll probably be going with Kuhmo Ecsta (sp?) this spring wince I have a seperate set of winter tires now.. Those Cooper's had great all round traction in my opinion...though thread life wasn't too good with my habits :leaving:

Okay, update on the tire size here, Every site I've checked says that the GP with 16" wheel option is 215/60R16 tires, but the tire spec/loading sticker on my trunk lid says 225/60R16. Any clue as to why the differance? When I buy my tires I will be going with the 225's since that is what the info on my are says to use.

Also, just for an off the wall bit of info, it actually has two different sizes on it right now, 215/60R16 on the front and 235/60R16 on the rear. the idiot how owned and drove it before me had 235's all around, and that is why it has no fender flares. He bottomed it out on an on/off ramp on the highway here and they came off.

If you can get the proper size, go for Yokohama Avid V4 S tires. I put a set on my Infiniti last Fall, and they are the best tires I've ever had on any FWD car. Got them for about $100 each from tire rack, plus $20 shipping

Yoko Avids FTW! I have them on my TGP and love them. :cool:

Hey Jackass - in case you read the original message wrong, he was inquiring about all-season tires, not mega-buck, high performance tires. :willynilly:

Hey Jackass - in case you read the original message wrong, he was inquiring about all-season tires, not mega-buck, high performance tires. :willynilly:

Someone needs to skool these n00bs on the w-body forum ropes... Man, I'm tellin ya. You guys wanna know about tires, go to a tire shop and ask a tire monkey. This is nearly as dumb of a thread as a 97LoudCut thread...just kidding, Matt even your threads are have more substance than this POS. This is my last posting here so it just dies.

I've got Goodyear Regatta 2's on mine right now and I love them. They have good traction in any weather and reportedly have pretty good treadwear, I've only had them on for about 9k miles so I dont know. I think I got them for about 90/tire.

Your never going to get a solid answer about a tire.

Personally this spring I plan on getting the highest rated all season tire on tirerack that doesn't cost a fortune and that is also my size (225/60/16). Right now that tire would be the BF Goodrich Traction T/A's.

I know I won't get one solid answer everyone will agree on, but I am fishing for a few ideas to chose from. I don't trust any of the "tire monkeys" in my area after some of the things I and my family have had happen when going with their recomendations. Also, Like I posted before, each brand and model of tire preforms a little differently on different models of cars.

IF you cant take a joke go away. j/k Thats what goes on here we give each other shit. Now calm down. k

As for tires i good like the fusions but my rims aint big enough for them i cant find any 195/70R14 but anyway i got Goodyears.

Someone needs to skool these n00bs on the w-body forum ropes... Man, I'm tellin ya. You guys wanna know about tires, go to a tire shop and ask a tire monkey. This is nearly as dumb of a thread as a 97LoudCut thread...just kidding, Matt even your threads are have more substance than this POS. This is my last posting here so it just dies.

What the hell is the deal with the n00bs. He was joking!! Dumbass!! SHow some respect and you'll get some back.