Is there a write up.. (UPDATED Installed Pics p3)

97loudcut

.. for the installing front lowering springs.

My co-workers and I are going to do it on the 13th of this month. I really like to read and have the write ups.

I know I have to cut that "jounce bumper (sp)" in half.

If there isn't, can someone make me one?

The easiest way to change the front springs is to take out the struts, then jack the front of the car up a little bit, the use some spring compressors to take it out, put the new one back in, making sure that its aligned and where its suppose to be, lower the front of the car down, and put the struts back in. Go to your favorite shop and get an alignment.

Okay so..

-Take out the struts

-Jack front of the car up

-Use spring compressor to take the spring out.

-Cut bumper in half on new struts

-Put spring back in

-Lower car

-Put new strut and strut mount in

I bought brand new KYB GR-2 struts and the heavy duty strut mounts. Can you edit my list to fit those in or do I allready have it correct?

-Put

-Take out the struts

-Jack front of the car up, wheels stay on ground

-Use spring compressor to take the spring out

-Install new mounts

-Put spring back in

-Lower car

-Cut bumper in half on new struts

-Put new strut and strut mount in

Fixed :)

Can I make a suggestion, do a before and after measurement on the car. Typically measure from the center of the wheel to the edge of the fender lip. Either that or measure from the edge of the rim up (it excludes the compression of the tire this way).

I would od the process a little different:

-Jack and support car

-Remove Wheels

-Remove struts and upper mounts

-apply spring compressor

-remove the upper mount (typicall requires the use of impact tools)

-decompress spring

-install new spring

-install upper mount

-resinstall spring in car

-install wheels

-lower car

-take your measuerments

-get an alignment ASAP, if not sooner.

The car has be to on the ground to remove the struts. Or atleast thats the easiest and fastest way of doing it.

Yeah but you are using the car as the spring compressor, so if something slips not a good thing....I pull the strut as an assembly so that I can work at it on a bench with a compressor.

because by taking the wheel off, you have to support the assembly. By taking the strut out, you need to take out the insulator at the top, below the plate. By taking it out from the top, everything stays aligned to make it much easier.

The only way I can think of by doing it that way, would to be support the whole assembly, then lower it, hoping that the strut doesnt get stuck on anything, but even then you need to take off the nut on the strut, which is like 130ft.lbs. and trying to take that off when the assembly dropped, your going to be twisting that whole assembly.

the way you mentioned it is just WAYYYY more work that what needs to be done.

I stand corrected for a different style of strut mount. I am used to the style that is on my later model car (and was also on my cavalier). Borrowed an idiot maual and looks like the previously mentioned way is best, mine is more suited for the 98 on body style....

I just put Intrax lowering springs (1.8" lower) and all KYB GR2 parts. I didn't have to cut the bump stops and still have about 3" or suspension travel... the only way I could bottom out with the front end now is to have a 500lb guy sitting on my hood over a huge bump. The new Intrax springs are WAY stiffer then the stock.

Okay I got my new KYB's in the mail today. Where is this bumper I have to cut? Or is it allready on the car right now and I have to swap it to the new struts?

Its on the struts that are in the car. Once you take out the struts in the car, it will be on the strut shaft. Then once you cut it, swap on to the new KYB's!

I just put Intrax lowering springs (1.8" lower) and all KYB GR2 parts. I didn't have to cut the bump stops and still have about 3" or suspension travel... the only way I could bottom out with the front end now is to have a 500lb guy sitting on my hood over a huge bump. The new Intrax springs are WAY stiffer then the stock.

The Intrax are MUCH stiffer than the ebachs of the ST's. Therefore, it doesnt have much more travel.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we attempted this today and failed. See this whole time I thought your just had to take the actualy old strut out, compress the spring, and wham oh!

Obviously I now know that the whole strut assembly needs to come out.. meaning alot of work. I am going to pospone this project until it gets warmer.

BTW we did do my rear brakes though!

Umm with the car on the ground we took the STB off, unscrewed that giant nut, pulled the big thick rubber gaurd out, pulled the jounce bumper out.

Then I called Tony and Adam and found out that you have to take the whole strut assembly out to do this. There is no way to get the spring out with the tires on/off if everything is still attached.

yeah you need to take the strut completely out of the car. Then if you jack up the front of the car enough, youll have more than enough room to take the spring out of the car.