Installed my intrax springs, and have a question!

tdaye

I had front KYB struts, KYB strut mounts, KYB strut bearings, KYB strut boots, Intrax lowering springs, both lower balljoints, 4 wheel balance and alignment all done yesterday, BUT my question is for all those who have had Intrax front springs installed.

Did the font end settle lower after any ammount of time?? I find the ride WAY stiff, the car handles WAY better, the cornering is amazing! but i'm not totally happy with the drop and may want to cut out a coil, but I need to know if the car is going to settle lower AT ALL first.

I can't measure for sure. I had cut coils in to begin with. Right now it seems to be the exact same height as with the cut coils. The garage tells me the measured before and after and it's slightly lower now...but I don't think so.

The springs are "progressive", which means that the first time you lower the car, that is as low as it will go without you cutting coils. (according to intrax)

Now keep in mind, this is true with all suspension parts, they will wear out over time. However, my intrax springs are STIFF. I don't think they will drop much, but I got about 2". A little more than I was supposed to. I don't think that they will drop much further than they already have.

well what I found odd is that there is NO taper what so ever on the bottom of these springs. So i can't see why it would really make a difference to cut 1/2 a coil or so out. I have no concerns about bottoming out the front end with how stiff these spring are. I have a picture of the spring but i'm too dumb and have no idea how to post it

the car should settle lower....

it's not gonna move hardly at all. Those springs are stiff, and the manufacturer rates them progressive, i.e. once the compress thats as far as they will go. They are very stiff springs... wouldn't count on much more.

i don't think you can cut out a coil because of the taper on the springs, but i may be wrong. also won't that totally f up the spring rate and such?

Yes, cutting coils on a spring will totally change the spring rates. More than likely it will make the car bounce even more than what it does now.

The springs are "progressive", which means that the first time you lower the car

I could be completely off base, but my understanding of progressive springs is that the ride "normal" when driving but stiffen up in hard cornering.....I have never heard of a spring NOT settling after installation....someone please correct me if I am wrong

i don't think you can cut out a coil because of the taper on the springs, but i may be wrong. also won't that totally f up the spring rate and such?

Yes, cutting coils on a spring will totally change the spring rates. More than likely it will make the car bounce even more than what it does now.

I have ZERO bounce now with it being that stiff and using KYB struts, so I'm not overly concerned about that. i've spoken to a custom shop in the area that a friend works at and they tell me to get a 1" drop they would only cut out 1/2 or less of one coil.

the springs that these Intrax replaced were the stock springs and were cut. i noticed no difference in the ride at all. I only changed to the intrax for the stiffness and sport handling. AND how else will I get the drop I want? The rear of my car is slightly lower then the front now.

How about buying the ST springs and sell the Intrax. Cutting coils off a spring is the worst way to lower something. Not only does it change all the springs rates, but it makes it unsafe.

you could be held's guinea pig and buy the front coilovers

Someone here as already tried them. and from the thread, I guess they didnt like em too awful much...

The weight of the car would probably give the spring full contact with the bearing.

yup, as I said before there is NO taper on the bottom of these springs at all. If I cut the spring in 1/2 (which i never would) the spring would sit the same at the bottom.