wasted my time/money cause i'm an idiot

intern8tion9l

ok so my car has been parked for 3 months now due to a bad injector and axle. i finally got the axle the other day and had the opportunity to swap it in today. upon getting the whole thing together i found the front to still be making this clunking sound. i was like WTF is this noise?! i put a new bearing, new axle, what now? so i lift up the dust boot on the strut to reveal the retaining nut that was completely unscrewed and floating freely on the strut shaft. so after all that all i needed was a friggin wrench to solve the problem. i now open this thread to all forms of insult/laughter :bash:

:lol: Ive dont stuff like that before

for example, drove my car the whole weekend after thanksgiving (was nice out, thankfull) because of a fuesable link that ened up only taking about 10 minutes and about 7$

haha well it happens to just about everyone! But hey, if 4T60-E axles will work with yours ( I kinda doubt it but not really sure ) I got two sitting in my garage for spares!

But next time your up, well fix that the right way. With the right tool so I can torque it down so it wont come loose........ yet again..... :lol:

now you got a spare too so its not all bad

negative, i had to give them the core

haha well it happens to just about everyone! But hey, if 4T60-E axles will work with yours ( I kinda doubt it but not really sure ) I got two sitting in my garage for spares!

the auto axles are totally different. i have my tgp axles sitting on the floor doing nothing too

LOL, thats some funny shit.. Thats ok tho, I had both rear struts replaced in my 95 becouse of that load as clunking noise every time your hit a little bump.. and it still does it.. come to find out its the bushings or some shit.. so it clunks still, wont to fix one day.. maybe ill do it when I rebuild my engine and put some p&p heads with matching intakes on, and replace the oil pump o-ring and replace the timing belt and intake gasgets (haft to anywat to do heads) because it leaks anti-frez as fast as i poor it in and replace the turn signal switch ( witch is causing my breaklights not to work).. O anyway :lol:

Wait wait,

You replaced an CV shaft cause you were hearing clunking noises from the front? Was the boot on the CV shaft torn?

From what i have seen, front upper strut mounts are replaced at least once in most w-body cars lifetimes.

i need to check this out becuase everytime i go over a bump, i hear a loud rattling noise coming from the top. when i grab the spring, i can turn it back and forth. is that bad? Also does anyone have a picture or details of what i could check.

ok so my car has been parked for 3 months now due to a bad injector and axle. i finally got the axle the other day and had the opportunity to swap it in today. upon getting the whole thing together i found the front to still be making this clunking sound. i was like WTF is this noise?! i put a new bearing, new axle, what now? so i lift up the dust boot on the strut to reveal the retaining nut that was completely unscrewed and floating freely on the strut shaft. so after all that all i needed was a friggin wrench to solve the problem. i now open this thread to all forms of insult/laughter :bash:

mine is currently like that now..but my nut went up but all the fluid came out as well

i need to check this out becuase everytime i go over a bump, i hear a loud rattling noise coming from the top. when i grab the spring, i can turn it back and forth. is that bad? Also does anyone have a picture or details of what i could check.

To check to see if this is loose, ( strut cartridge retaining nut ) simply to the lower spring, and there will be a dust boot inside the spring. If you lift this up, youll see a huge silver nut. Youll be able to somewhat easily get to it and tell if its loose or not.

Most Wbody replacement struts are gas charged struts, the oil is in the tube to dampen the noise of the strut banging around. Now you can put motor oil in there if you want, I have been told by a 25+yr experienced Gm tech thats fine, however others will tell you hydraulic. Either one will do. Don't add too much as it will spill out the top when you install the cartridge.

mine is currently like that now..but my nut went up but all the fluid came out as well

i have KYBs, so there isn't much fluid in there anyway. if there had been it would have gone everywhere and i would have known this was a problem right away. however, after all that there is still a terrible sound coming from the front and i can't figure out what it is