Wierd electrical/transmission oddity?

lbhskier37

Ok, a while back my tranny started acting up on my 92 regal 3.1L. I figured out that it was the torque converter clutch slipping. I verified this by unplugging the harness that controls the TCC and my slipping/shuddering problem went away. Since I value MPG over anything (50 mile one way commute), I just left the TCC plugged in and delt with the slipping at certain speeds. Well just in the last two weeks I had my crank angle positions sensor go out. Now after replacing the crank angle position sensor, my TCC seems to magically be fixed?! At first I thought that the TCC just completely died and therefore wasn't slipping anymore, but I notice today that the TCC does in fact engage, and doesn't slip. So I am wondering, does engine RPM somehow govern the engagement of the TCC? If so was maybe my TCC slipping just because my crank angle sensor was failing? Is the crank angle sensor even what measures rpm in these engines, or is there another sensor that does that (seems kinda stupid to have a seperate rpm sensor if the crank angle sensor is perfectly capable of measuring that)

• 2 weeks later...