Help with Wiring LEDs?

CSI_MuNkY

Hey folks...

I hope I have this in thr correct section... if not, feel free to move it mods!

I'm considering getting some LEDs and wiring them up in various areas of my car, mainly in the interior, but a couple may make it to the exterior,

However I don't understand the wiring aspect of them at all. I never did very well in my electrical shop classes.

I'm wondering if anyone can draw me up some wiring diagrams in MS paint or something like that.

I'll be using LEDs from oznium... On their site they mention something about resistors...

Resistance is futile! But resistors are pretty handy...

Depending on how you plan to install your LEDs, you might want to consider the option of using resistors. LEDs are designed to work with roughly 2 to 4 volts of power, which your 12 volt car battery will burn through pretty quickly. If you run too much voltage through LEDs, they will either burn out quickly, or in extreme cases they would stop working altogether.

Thankfully, there are two easy ways to work around this problem: One is to install the LEDs in series rather than parallel. This method requires some basic electrical engineering math to get the number of LEDs right (depending on color, voltage, etc.) – we’d recommend that only if you know your way around a soldering iron.

The other method is to install resistors on each LED, which will level out the power flow and prevent the burnout problem (unless, of course, you get very high power surges), and since resistors cost just 5¢ each, that’s a genuinely inexpensive way to ensure your LED investment pays off for years to come.

Heres a senario, used on a truck on their site... each head light (2) has four green LEDs in them, thus when the LEDs are turned on (assumingly for show use only) the head lights glow green. How should something like this be wired up? Not that I am going to light up my head lights like that, just using it as an example. As I understand it you can't hook an LED directly up to the battery, thats how I would of done it.

Here are the specs on the Red LEDs I plan to use

Color Current (mA) Brightness (mcd) Max Voltage (V) Viewing Angle (Degrees) Wavelength (nm)

Red 20 8000 2.6 30 628

Thanx for any help

Jamie