Severe engine noise on start up - 2002 Buick Century 3100 V6?

Lexusfreak

Hello everyone,

I am posting this on behalf of my Dad who owns a 2002 Buick Century Limited - 110,000 Km's (68,000 miles). He is experiencing some severe engine noise on a cold start (had it last year, but it's much louder than that, now that the cold temps are here again.....it's almost diesel like!). I understand that this is a cronic complaint with many of GM's V6 engines for the first couple of minutes after a cold start & then goes away (piston slap?). I am wondering if there are any detailed TSB's about this condition & possible fixes? He uses Amsoil ASL 5W 30 synthetic oil (along with Amsoil Ea oil filters) & is religious about his maintenance.

I assume that since the vehicle is no longer under warranty, that GM will not do anything for him? He is concerned about the longevity of the engine......I have told him that this is condisered rather normal for his car & will not hurt anything, but he asked me to look into this a little more for confirmation (just extremely annoying). I personally own 2 Subaru Foresters (2003 XS & 2006 XT Turbo, but use to be a GM guy) the N/A Subi engine also suffers from piston slap on start up (also considered normal) so I know a little about this subject.

Any assistance on the subject would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

Btw, nice forums you have here (moderator myself for an international Subi & Lexus club....use to own a 2001 Lexus ES 300). Thanks again!

:cheers:

http://media.putfile.com/Lifter-Tick-71

My car has been like that forever..ppl confuse it with rod knock and other stuff all the time...it's just the lifters ticking and pistons slapping around lol...

Since his is newer might wanna do something about it...though I'm not sure what all can be done!

Thanks for the link 1990 :cool: That is pretty much what my Dad's 2002 sounds like.....digital, manifold gaskets have been inspected & no problems found. The car is bone dry underneith & he is not burning a drop of oil. :willynilly:

normally when the gaskets go, the car wont leak externally. It leaks coolant into the oil, and thats where all the problems come from.

This contributes to the severe engine noise at (cold) start up? The car runs perfectly after 2 - 3 minutes of warm up afterwards. :confused:

If the sound go's away after it starts to warm up, then you have no problems. Only if it persists after warming up would I be worried. Most likely, the oil was starting to thicken from the cold temperature, and just has to thin up a bit when it's warming up to properly lube the whole engine. Just tell him to let it warm up for a few minutes before he drives, and don't be hard on it until it is warmed up to the halfway mark on the temperature guage.

Yay another Amsoil user!!!

I use Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 Synthetic w/ an Amsoil filter, and I have the same problem with noise. Unfortunately my car made the same noises with conventional and synthetic oil. I've come to accept that when it's cool or cold outside, my car will do that until it warms up. Even if there is some "unnecessary contact" of engine internals, I'm confident that my Amsoil is helping to protect those parts.

Just a question, how long does the car sit before he drives it? Like does he drive it everyday, or a couple days or a week?

19, the car is his daily driver & is maintained religiously. :cool:

I use Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 Synthetic w/ an Amsoil filter, and I have the same problem with noise. Unfortunately my car made the same noises with conventional and synthetic oil. I've come to accept that when it's cool or cold outside, my car will do that until it warms up. Even if there is some "unnecessary contact" of engine internals, I'm confident that my Amsoil is helping to protect those parts.

Yup, it's the best stuff IMO (use to use M1 & Castrol Syntec in the past......both good product though) along with the Amsoil Ea oil & air filters.......our whole family uses it. :biggrin: I like the extended drain intervals too.

Any idea if the block heater in extreme cold temps would quiet the noise somewhat? :eek:

Yup, it's the best stuff IMO (use to use M1 & Castrol Syntec in the past......both good product though) along with the Amsoil Ea oil & air filters.......our whole family uses it. :biggrin: I like the extended drain intervals too.

Any idea if the block heater in extreme cold temps would quiet the noise somewhat? :eek:

I'm not a fan of these new and more expensive EA filters. I bought a few extra of the higher capacity HD Amsoil filters before they were discontinued. I think I have at least 1 more left for my filter change in December.

It's worth a shot, but I'd say it's not very likely that it'll help much. Give it a shot and let us know. :D

One of the best block heater that you can get is a 100 watt light bulb. Normal lights are actually not effecient at making light but very effecient at turning electricity into heat. Get an extension cord and hang the light bulb somewhere from your motor and turn it on.