92 cutlass supreme convertible brake problems

sclary18

anyone else having brake problems with the 92 cutlass supreme convertible 3.1? Whenever i slam on the brakes it seems like they're barely working and then after a few seconds they start to catch and slow the car down quick.. any answers? any other people with this problem?

Well I can tell you that my 'rents have dumped hundreds of dollars into the brakes on their 92 Cutty Convert over the course of 10 years (IIRC, they have carbon metallic pads on it right now) and my stepdad still jokes that he needs to start braking a block in advance of where he needs to stop. I'd say you're not alone. The 88-93 brakes royally suck, and the added weight of the extra structural bracing and convertible top components don't help matters any.

Here are some brake upgrade ideas for ya:

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/brakes-rotors.html

i already have new rotors, pads, and front calipers, i also blead my master cylinder and drained my entire brake system, thanks for all the help and all the compliments on my car. I'm going to check out that brakes upgrades page.. thanks again....

If you have the chance, you should deff upgrade to the 94+ style brakes. But the way it sounds from the first post, once your on the brakes and get heat in them it work. Id take a look at what kind of pads and rotors your using...

I would also consider upgrading to the stainless steel brake lines. Reviews from other members on this board support the fact that the brake response is much better over the stock lines.

whoa! Easy Jay! Don't hurt that vert!

are either of your warning lights on? abs or brake, that is? do they light up at startup during the test cycle?

I'm thinking about stainless hoses. where to buy?

whoa! Easy Jay! Don't hurt that vert!

are either of your warning lights on? abs or brake, that is? do they light up at startup during the test cycle?

I'm thinking about stainless hoses. where to buy?

I know for sure tirerack.com carries them. I know 60* did for a while, but I think Ben stopped selling them. You can find them allover the place though.