Coolant leak. NOW WITH AMAZING PICS

MonteCarloChick

The boyfriend again-

I doubt my parents will learn this lesson, but hopefully this helps someone on here learn what a little preventative maintenance, and using the RIGHT coolant will help you avoid.

My parents couldn't read DEX COOL COOLANT ONLY, and decided green antifreeze was just fine. I'm sure a lot of that sludge is from the mixing of wrong coolants.

Yeah, my parents are the same way. All my dad says is, "I've been driving for over 30 years and I've never blown a motor."

BTW- Why is this in Powertrain shouldn't it be in Other cars?

Wow that looks terrible. Make sure you run seafoam or some sort of Engine cleaner through that before you put new oil in. That might be the worst I've ever seen a L82 on any GM forum.

I feel you! I just got out of the same problem last week. I replaced my LIM gaskets, and thought that cured that problem of mine, but appearntly I was wrong. My Front Head gasket kept on leaking, and lead to the demise of my motor. I just hope that the coolant/water did not get to the bottom of the motor. Your bearings would not like you then!!

-The boyfriend again

5speedZ34 - This is in powertrain because aside from a few minor details, there isn't much of a difference between the Corsica's 3100, and the W body 3100. It was more of a 3100 question than a Corsica question.

Mike, I plan on running an engine flush through there after we clean up the loose crap. I'm undecided whether or not I want to waste the moeny to seafoam a car that isn't cared for.

customgod227 - The car ran fine when we parked it to tear it apart. However the last oil change, the oil was BROWN. It looked like liquid rust, and was a mixture of oil and Dex-Cool. This is why I decided it was time to park the car. I'm betting it wouldn't have last a week driving it in the current condition.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, its all helped out with this job, and although progress is slow (I work during the day and only have an hour or so to work on it when I get home) it's steady.

We'll be wiping the valve covers, heads, and LIM clean today to get the sludge off. It'll be a crappy day today as far as weather is concerned, so I might just wait until Saturday to lay down the RTV gasket and start reassembly.

-The boyfriend again

5speedZ34 - This is in powertrain because aside from a few minor details, there isn't much of a difference between the Corsica's 3100, and the W body 3100. It was more of a 3100 question than a Corsica question.

Mike, I plan on running an engine flush through there after we clean up the loose crap. I'm undecided whether or not I want to waste the moeny to seafoam a car that isn't cared for.

customgod227 - The car ran fine when we parked it to tear it apart. However the last oil change, the oil was BROWN. It looked like liquid rust, and was a mixture of oil and Dex-Cool. This is why I decided it was time to park the car. I'm betting it wouldn't have last a week driving it in the current condition.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, its all helped out with this job, and although progress is slow (I work during the day and only have an hour or so to work on it when I get home) it's steady.

We'll be wiping the valve covers, heads, and LIM clean today to get the sludge off. It'll be a crappy day today as far as weather is concerned, so I might just wait until Saturday to lay down the RTV gasket and start reassembly.

Just go to the local parts store and buy the cheapest brand engine cleaner you can find if you're concerned about your effort being in vain. It should be a lot cheaper than Seafoam anyway. I'd actually be more concerned with the areas you can't see or can't get to. Wiping it down may not be enough in all cases. :dunno: