4T60 vs. 4T60-E

91GranSport

2- Japanese cars, most of them have less torque than my mountain bike on the lowest sprocket....I can only imagine this as being a big reason for it

I think the key word in that sentance was "most".

Another question I had was why is it that they can put like 500hp on a full time AWD system with no trouble, and not 300 on a FWD? don't most real-time allwheeldrive systems (like Subaru) have the capacity to transfer all the available power or either the front or back wheels? enlighten me!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldsmoBeast

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• GnatGoSplat

• Heza

Another question I had was why is it that they can put like 500hp on a full time AWD system with no trouble, and not 300 on a FWD? don't most real-time allwheeldrive systems (like Subaru) have the capacity to transfer all the available power or either the front or back wheels? enlighten me!

What AWD cars have 500HP?

Subaru, Audi, Mercedes, etc. have longitudinal AWD trannies. Basically that means the tranny lives partially under the floor and partially in the engine compartment, and as such, can be larger and support larger, beefier parts. Just look at GM's RWD trannies. A 4L60-E supports MUCH higher torque than a 4T60-E.

Transverse AWD trannies are weaker and have more problems because they're squeezed underhood and are compact with smaller, more delicate parts. Take the Stealth/3000GT for example. They blow trannies and transfer cases just as often as we blow FWD trannies.

well i don't know any awd 500hp cars per say but i know that there are high powered all wheel drive trannies but yah that makes sense now

I read all about that as well, several years ago someone posted that on the old W-Body EZBoard forum. I also read somewhere that the 4.6L Northstar developed using a lot of the 3.4L Twin Cam's technology! How true this is, I don't know. But I do remember exactly what you're talking about, and remember reading that Hydra-Matic wasn't able to build a 4-speed automatic transmission that'll handle over 230HP at that time.

u know what......i think GM has never made a really good FWD tranny. If they had, our cars would be available with a LOT more power. Someone correct me on this but I read somewhere that the 3.4 DOHC was created COMPLETELY with performance in mind. The article said that the engineers at GM had the 3.4 pushing 275hp easily...but they couldn't come up with a FWD tranny to handle the power so they just cut the spark and fuel delivery a little earlier, reducing peak power to 210hp and prolly increasing fuel economy in the process a bit.....but yah has anyone else read about this?

yeah, a FWD tranny that could handle a lot of power couldnt be made at the time of the DOHCs birth

Now, those modded cars with 400+HP and AWD can hold that much power b/c nearly every single one has a manual tranny. As we all know manuals can handle a lot more power than an automatic.

Robby

• 10 months later...
Well, I've had problems with two 4T60-E's, and one good 4T60-E. Majority rules for me, the 4T60-E is just to damn delicate. A pussy tranny! :lol:

Aaron

Agreed i hate it its not a tranny to be racing with thats one thing for sure. You have to baby it i guess thats why only grandmas drive luminas. :lol:

My 4T60 won't die

need the fluid changed....but 158,000 and shifts perfect

Me too. Except 171k on mine :wink:

Strange how its lasting considering I usually take it up past 5k most days, and had fun one day inside a warehouse driving fast in reverse and slamming it in drive.. longest patch of rubber I ever left with that car :lol:

My 4T60 won't die

need the fluid changed....but 158,000 and shifts perfect

Me too. Except 171k on mine :wink:

Strange how its lasting considering I usually take it up past 5k most days, and had fun one day inside a warehouse driving fast in reverse and slamming it in drive.. longest patch of rubber I ever left with that car :lol:

my friend did that, and he blew the trans in his 3.4 Cutty

Can anyone provide pics of all the different transmissions or ways to tell them apart? I think that I have the 4T60-E because it's a POS. are all these transmissions interchangeable? Mine has the torque converter lockup plug with only 4 wires, and no vacuum modulator assembly. Well, my reverse band went and I'm just going to replace the whole transmission (I have a '91). I found a nice transmission out of a euro sport ('92) that has overdrive and the torque converter lockup. But the plug is the newer style plug (it has like 6 wires I think) and it uses the vacuum modulator. I'm going to get a REALLY good deal on this transmission and I was wondering if it is possible to install it in my car and have it work correctly. Can anyone offer me any advice? Also, how hard would it be to put a manual in this car from like a Z24?

Can anyone provide pics of all the different transmissions or ways to tell them apart? I think that I have the 4T60-E because it's a POS. are all these transmissions interchangeable? Mine has the torque converter lockup plug with only 4 wires, and no vacuum modulator assembly. Well, my reverse band went and I'm just going to replace the whole transmission (I have a '91). I found a nice transmission out of a euro sport ('92) that has overdrive and the torque converter lockup. But the plug is the newer style plug (it has like 6 wires I think) and it uses the vacuum modulator. I'm going to get a REALLY good deal on this transmission and I was wondering if it is possible to install it in my car and have it work correctly. Can anyone offer me any advice? Also, how hard would it be to put a manual in this car from like a Z24?

The 4T60 and 4T60E both have overdrive, and vaccum modulators. If yours does not have overdrive, it must be the 3 speed (don't know the name of it, but its not a 4T60(e)) and I don't know if they have vaccuum modulators on them or not, since they are kinda rare on w-bodies. Also the manual tranny from a Z24 is different (different gearing, and something else) the w-bodies had either the 282 Getrag (2.8/3.1) or 284 Getrag (3.4dohc). You are best to look for an old 89-90 GP or Cutlass with a 5-speed. The '88s had them, but they used a MAF, VSS and different PROM chip so its a little more confusing.

Look at your tranny pan......it has the tranny type stamped in it

I had mine off the other day and it only said "Hydramatic" stamped into it thats all. Mine is the first of its kind though (1988) so maybe they were different :confused:

Yeah, that's all mine says too. And yeah, it's only the 3 speed also. :(

I'm so sick of pushing my car when i need to back up, it's SUCH a pain in the ass! And to get the transmission repaired is going to cost $800.

The transmission that I had offered to me is only for $100 and with really low miles. I cant find a tranny other then this for less then $400.

ARGH!!!!

The 3 speed is known as TH125-c or 3T40, it has no overdirve, or vacuum modulator. It has the word METRIC stamped into the pan. Yes they like to eat clutches, starting with the reverse.

I think you would need a differewnt wiring harness, change some vacuum items around, and get a chip from a 4-speed car. The 4T60 would work, but it would be a lot harder to get the 4T60-E to work.

i got a 95 cutty with the 3100 and the 4T60E in it and 132,121 miles, the tranny just committed suiside on me in febuary, first it started makin a whinin noise then i noticed it startin to slip from 1st to second then from 1st to 2nd to 3rd then it just stopped plantin the power when ever it wanted to, it would go but u couldnt even accelerate but it only did it after its been drivin for a few minutes, still dont kno what the problem was/is. so im agreein with whoever said the 4T60E is a pussy tranny, now my 90 pontiac 6000 on the other hand, its got the 3.1 that used to be the 2.8 a year earlier with either the 4T60 or the 4T65 in it im not sure but that thing is damn near 15 years old with 259,098 miles on it and still pulls like brand new with original engine and tranny i melt the tires on the thing every day and it just drives like it loves me. is there anything out there i can replace my 4T60E in my cutty that isnt such a damn pussy?