IDLE ROUGH IN GEAR SMOOTH IN NEUTRAL

89Cutlass

I have had my 89 cutlass89 2.8l for 5 years and always change my plugs wires oil air filter intake gaskets etc... but ive always had a weird idle

problem. Recently i changed the coil packs hoping it would help but it didnt.

The problem is my car will idle perfect in park/neutral and if i put it in gear it starts to miss and act like it wants to stall and will stall somtimes.

Im puzzled and cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

other things ive changed

map sensor

02 sensor

cat converter

plugs/wires/3 coils

iac valve

intake gasket

throttle body gasket/cleaned throttle body

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP A LOT.

THANKS

My lumina had this problem as well. It only happened while idling in gear during the summer. But it didn't occur when the a/c was on. basically the enige would idle lsightly below optimal idle and idle unevenly. even though it is set at the factory, upping it slightly may fix it.

My lumina had this problem as well. It only happened while idling in gear during the summer. But it didn't occur when the a/c was on. basically the enige would idle lsightly below optimal idle and idle unevenly. even though it is set at the factory, upping it slightly may fix it.

my lumina does this too...well actually when the engine is running warmer then usual it does...i blame it on the coil packs getting heat soaked sitting down there by the exhaust manifold :rolleyes:

There is also the odd time my car will stall and its hard to start again. but 99% of the time if fires up in 2 seconds. Then again in the mornings it stalls the first few times then its fine and runs ok.