04 Impala front speaker help

losman7

I just bought some 6 1/2 pioneers and the speaker harness for my front doors of my 04 impala. I have the sound system with the stock amp. when i took my doors apart i found a speaker and a seperate tweeter next to it. when i removed the speaker i found the wires soldered right to it, there was no plug, and there were 4 wires, 2 to the tweeter and 2 to the 6 1/2 speaker. I didnt want to pull the wires off the speaker and hook up the pioneers only to find out that they wouldnt work, im thinking you cant replace the stock speakers with the sound system i have?? Has any one else run into this?

okay, the 4 wires, 2 of which went to the speaker itself, u said were soldier'd on. You CAN just cut the wire from the stock speaker, and hook it to the new one and it will work. I'm pretty sure that the reason theres 4 wires is that the 2 goin to the tweeter have bass blockers built in or crosssover. Only thing you wanna remember is to hook pos to pos - neg to neg. This car, dark colors are positive.

I think there should be a connector in the door somewhere. If you take the door panel off, you should see it. I duno about the newer cars but the older ones had it. Even mine has the wiring for the 'premuim' sound, all the connectors and such, but just no wires after the connector and no speakers...

Yes, there is a connector up the door somewhere.

As for the four wires, well, thats because there is a crossover mounted somewhere. The wires going to the larger speaker will most likely carry mids and low, so if you have some fancy 6.5" speakers, your not going to use them to the full capability.

But, I did say "most likely" for a reason. I have seen many different vehicles with seperate woofers and tweeters. When we would install a blown 2 way into the 6.5" provision(say for example the woofer was blown and they wanted a replacement), highs came out along with the lows. Great crossover, eh?

I would almost think its worth it to go out and buy an aftermarket x-over and use that instead of messing with inline filters and such. To me its just much easier.

I would almost think its worth it to go out and buy an aftermarket x-over and use that instead of messing with inline filters and such. To me its just much easier.

Very much better seperation of sound, and yes, easier than messing with filters. But, thats assuming you want to track down, cut out the old, and wire in a new one.