Broken Lateral Link

94CutlassSLCoupe

So, my driver's side rear lateral link failed on the way home from work today and the car officially drives like shit. AND I need the fucking thing to work...GOD DAMNIT, the car has ~50,200 original miles.

does anyone in the detroit metro area have a W-body driver's side rear lateral link? FE1 if it matters...this fucker is BROKE! Pics to follow when it stops pouring

I've never heard of that happening before...is it that rusty or what? I doubt that they are FE1 or FE3 specific. Thats especially weird because of your low mileage.

100_0389.jpg

There it is...I doubt this break was a result of rust, the car is in pretty good shape, very little rust and its surface...keep in mind the bottom of the car is WET in the picture.

I need the car for monday at work...If i can't find a replacement soon, looks like i'll be welding it until i can get a brand new one

I dunno, here's a picture of the cross section...hell it looks like the one on the passenger side is gonna fail the same way. they like bend inward in a spot and continue to do badly until they metal fatigue

100_0392.jpg

looks like i should probably just replace all of them

what is the difference between an FE3 arm and an FE1? they are listed as different part numbers on GM Parts Direct

I believe the only thing thats different between FE1 and FE3 is a rear sway bar and the mounting brackets that go with it.

I would be able to get them for you at a j/y but you probably wouldnt have em for a while. I thnk your best bet for now would to be just weld them together the best you can, then as you get them, replace them.

well here's the ghetto repair...welded her up and there's also a plate welded on the other side, since it was so badly bent its a little longer now...so i had to adjust the alignment a little at the center of the car...alignment seems to be alright at least until i get some new ones

100_0394.jpg

That happened to my step bro's car.

I noticed it when I changed the rear struts and mentioned it to my stepdad, but I guess he didn't take my warning seriously. A few years later, it broke when my step bro was driving it on the highway and he about nearly wrecked.

Anyway, the cause was a slight bend in the bar. It was caused by my sister running the car into a ditch when it was hers, and the tow truck driver pulled the car out by its lateral link rather than the center jack pad. This bent the link, and the bend started cracking and then snapped.

I've read about this happening before. These cars should NEVER be pulled by their lateral links.

MY ex gf's Saturn found a ditch and a jack ass tow truck driver helped diagnose the problem and prescribed the same medication. I ended up just replacing the whole K frame, realigning it ,and selling it to some poor SOB down the road. Not a bad weld by the way and I wouldnt call it ghetto, living in the ghetto I would know a ghetto weld when I see one. Here's what they look like before preparation.

jb-weld.gif I just prepared some of that for a hole in a A/C line comming off a condenser in an Alero I have, hope it works the back says its good up to 3960 PSI, we will see.