3800 Series II Supercharged swap

hazmatic

I think the L36 is the way to go. Not only do you get 205HP, but you get to use regular fuel instead of premium. Sure 240HP would be nice, but you can also find a lot of mods that'll bring up the L36's horsepower. Personally for me I'd go with an L36 with a 4T65-E heavy duty. quote]

That looks like what I'm gonna have to do then. There's plenty of parts out there for these engines, so it will be fun.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 91GranSport

• slick

• hazmatic

• Robby1870

Let us know when you've completed the job, and be sure to post pics. My original 3800 TPI and 4T60 are still doing well at 180,000km but I really would like to see a nice 230lb-ft of torque at 4200RPM rather than 220lb-ft of torque at 3600RPM.

That looks like what I'm gonna have to do then. There's plenty of parts out there for these engines, so it will be fun.

Oh, yeah, big power difference. This probably won't happen for a while because the 3100 is still running good damnit. But as soon as it dies, time for the L36 with the 4t65 E. I figures the Heavy Duty version is recommended, but 1: more money, 2: hard to find a junkyard around here that is reasonable that has something that new. If i do just get the regular version though, i will get the shift improver kit. As for the L36, im thinking a nice cam, i will port and polish intake manifolds, get a nice set of headers with a nice exhaust all the way back, and a bunch more assorted things.

Anyways, I think he said he couldn't do it because of something to do with the flywheel or bellhousing or something like that. I really couldn't tell you much because I don't remember a lot of it. I've never done an engine swap before. I've removed engines from vehicles to take them apart but I've never tried to mate a 5-speed to an engine that was originally equipped with an automatic.

You can put a 5-speed behind the L36 or L67 with a special flywheel. I think West Coast Fiero sells those.

yea hazmatic, you have greatly improved. on your first posts I had to swallow at least 6 aspirin after reading what you said, but now I only have to take 2! j/k If your gonna do the swap let me know how it goes because im seriously thinking about it.

im serously thinkin bout it to right now i have muh papa that owns his own shop look into it (he prefres imports then domestic tho) but he is lookin into it gettin me prices ill probally do it my self wit his help but ill def be sure to take alot of pics everystep of the way but its probally a ways away befo i do the engine swap i wanna get muh radio n extiriostylin good n ready frst n now thet muh gurl just had r frst kid it might be a long time cuz im sure a cant get a engein for free

Yeah, personally the L36 is the way to go. You can actually purchase an upgrade kit that upgrades the regular 4T65-E into a 4T65-E/HD! Overall you probably don't need the HD unit unless you're going to 240HP+ or over 260lb-ft of torque. A nice higher lift cam would be good, as well as a decent set of full roller rockers to match the cam. Porting and polishing the intake manifold is always a good idea on any engine, but I don't think you'll find headers anywhere. Unless you have them custom made, but that's different because you'll have issues with leaks and such.

Oh, yeah, big power difference. This probably won't happen for a while because the 3100 is still running good damnit. But as soon as it dies, time for the L36 with the 4t65 E. I figures the Heavy Duty version is recommended, but 1: more money, 2: hard to find a junkyard around here that is reasonable that has something that new. If i do just get the regular version though, i will get the shift improver kit. As for the L36, im thinking a nice cam, i will port and polish intake manifolds, get a nice set of headers with a nice exhaust all the way back, and a bunch more assorted things.

go to http://www.INTENSE-Racing.com They have like 1.9:1 rocker arms, and some other valve train goodies. They are a little pricey, but I saw in Pontiac Enthusiast in the winter, where they put a set of the 1.9 rockers on an L36, with minor mods, like exhaust, intake and got like 12-15HP at the wheels from them

Robby

Okay, I only understood about half of what the fuck you just said. Anyways, if your dad owns a shop then why the hell are you wasting time here? I'm not telling you to go away or anything, but hell if I had access to a shop I'd be there almost every single day tinkering with car trying to pull more power out of it, make it look nicer, etc. You have access to stuff that a lot of us don't have, and best of all you're the owner's son! You can practically do what you want!

im serously thinkin bout it to right now i have muh papa that owns his own shop look into it (he prefres imports then domestic tho) but he is lookin into it gettin me prices ill probally do it my self wit his help but ill def be sure to take alot of pics everystep of the way but its probally a ways away befo i do the engine swap i wanna get muh radio n extiriostylin good n ready frst n now thet muh gurl just had r frst kid it might be a long time cuz im sure a cant get a engein for free

Okay, here's a little list:

3800 Series II

Cylinder Head Package ($800 -$ 1,800) +20-40HP

Camshaft ($300+) +15-20HP

Roller Rockers ($300+) +10-15HP

Cold Air Intake ($120) +10HP

Machined Intake Manifold ($500+) +15HP

As you can see, there is a LOT you can do.

So what all is out there for the L36?

when i say papa that aint my dad my papa is my dads fartha i got a nana n papa(my dads side) n a grandpa n a barbra(my moms side)but i do try to get to the shop as much as i can but he does have a busniss to run i cant just go therre netime i want n i got a job n a g/f n now a kid n i waste my time in herre to brodden my knowledge learn new shit n to give ppl wich lil bit knowledge i got stored

Ha ha ha! Okay man, I get the point, I didn't need to hear your life story. Anyways, regarding your swap, you'll definitely need the expertise of your "papa" as well as his tools and such. You can't remove an engine simply by using hand tools and such.

Also, you need ALL the wiring that goes with the engine. Some used engines don't come with the exhaust manifolds, but try to get them just in case. You might even need to get custom piping done to mate the exhaust manifolds to your current Y-Pipe and catalytic converter.

when i say papa that aint my dad my papa is my dads fartha i got a nana n papa(my dads side) n a grandpa n a barbra(my moms side)but i do try to get to the shop as much as i can but he does have a busniss to run i cant just go therre netime i want n i got a job n a g/f n now a kid n i waste my time in herre to brodden my knowledge learn new shit n to give ppl wich lil bit knowledge i got stored

I noticed that as well, but I'm not going to question it. :)

how come you always seem to say one thing? then when its questioned, it turns into another thing entirely

I really didn't want to get into this shit, but Hazmatic WTF are you smoking man! Any engine swap in a computer equiped car is going to be seriously complicated, especially the 3.8L SII S/C. I have been working on cars since a could pick up the tools and I'm weary of getting into this, you probably can't even spell your own name.

I really hate saying it but I think the only way it'll work is if you have nothing to do with it, and you get someone with some serious expertise.

Do you actually find it easier to type like that? it'd take me twice the time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really didn't want to get into this shit, but Hazmatic WTF are you smoking man! Any engine swap in a computer equiped car is going to be seriously complicated, especially the 3.8L SII S/C. I have been working on cars since a could pick up the tools and I'm weary of getting into this, you probably can't even spell your own name.

I really hate saying it but I think the only way it'll work is if you have nothing to do with it, and you get someone with some serious expertise.

Do you actually find it easier to type like that? it'd take me twice the time.