Front strut question ( actually many questions )

19Cutlass94

Seeing as how I think Im gonna get screwed on this deal, I need to ask all of you a few questions reguarding the front struts. I have searched, but didnt really find anything that answered what I had. I need to put new fron strut cartriges in, new strut tower bearing/insulator ( I think the plate is ok but well see ) and new half-shafts. What tools from GM do I need to do everything?

Orinigally OTTO Olds was going to do this for me, but then the ONLY tech that had the tools left. And without me knowing they dropped the car off at the Midas right next to OTTO for an estimate. If that estimate is more than what I wanna pay, Im going to do the work myself.

So other than what tools do I need, can someone maybe explain how to change the strut cartriges and the strut tower stuff? Ive never done this before so Im not sure. And Id like to have an idea of what Im doing before I possibly jump into this. I have all the parts needed to do this ( well hopefully ) So Ill just need the tools to take everything apart and put back together.

Thanks for the help guys!

I just got my 96 front strut/knuckle assembly. I should be putting them together this weekend.

I can take pics, video you name it. You should be able to rent the special strut cartrige removal tool from a parts store. If your changing the bearing plates too you will need a spring compressor as well. Its easiest to remove the whole assembly so you will need the tool to remove the ball joint and tie rod end. Also a 18mm socket to remove castle nuts. 36 mm socket for driveshaft nut. (get a breaker bar) and 10mm socket for top plate. I am not sure the size of the nut for the strut.

Its not an easy job but can be done. PM me if you want more info.

front struts are so retardly easy, first off it helps BIG TIME if you know someone with a impact gun, or just buy a cheep electric one at a harbor freight, like i need to do.

goto your favorite auto that has loan a tool services, and rent the "w-body strut tool" should be about a $80 deposit, thant you get back when your return it

take off the strut cap, 3 15mm bolts

then either use the T50, and offset wrench that the strut tool provides, that i broke, or get your impact tool to remove the top nut on the strut, i forget what size it is however.

then with that off press down on the fender and bounce the suspension a little, then the strut mount should pop right off set that aside, and get the big long shaft tool in the kit, and use that to remove the nut that holds thecartridge in, if they are origional struts, get some towls cause theres gona be alot of oil from the origional shocks, clean all the old crap out of the tube best you can, then drop the new cartridge down and reasemble.

mine took an hour start to finish doing it for the first time.

now half shaft replacement isan't so bad.

only special toosl i can think of is a 36mm axle nut socket, and the T60 for the brake callieper

remove wheel with car raised

remove calliper and rotor

take off the big axle nut, breaker bar, or impact wrench work wonders

then remove the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the strut assembly, i think they are 13-15mm

with that out get a small prybar and pop the half-shaft out of the transmission.

put the new one in, make sure all the splines are lined up and tap it in with a rubber mallot

and reasemble.

not sure how to go about the bearing replacement, i know turbosedan had a thread awhile back detailing his intrax spring install, that had lots of good information about how the strut asemblies go together.

The front struts can be changed without the "W-Body Strut Service Kit"....too easily. Basically just follow White93z34 's post, but instead of using the long rod tool to unscrew the strut cap nut, reach into the wheel well and pop up the strut bellows, then grab the nut/cap with large channel locks and loosen it out. The kit comes with an offset wrench which you don't need to use, I use a T50 bit and an air impact. There is also a brace like cup that is designed to hold the strut centered which is also unneeded, once you remove the old strut, the strrut tube may shift a bit, just insert the end of the new strut down into the tube a few inches, then use it like a pry bar to move the tube back into position, it takes minimal effort. The most difficult part to do without the service kit is loosening off the insulators on top of the strut rod.

dont mean to butt in on your post, but im wanting to do my struts also, same car is there anything else besides the struts that usually needs to be changed? thanx for the help

• 5 years later...

Okay, so I know this is an old thread, but I'm confused about how I'm supposed to use the T50 and offset wrench in my kit. Can you explain that a little more? I know it might be obvious, but I don't understand at the moment.